PSA - Zachys Burgundy Sale

Thanks – both were marked “storage,” yes, so good to know and thanks for the help.

Not sure I understand their ordering system. I received an Order Request in response to my order but apparently I am not guaranteed what I ordered?

it’s confusing. I placed an order a few weeks ago and never received a follow up. I had to email them and they confirmed.

They’ve added quite a few more to the sale this morning.

Any experience with Maume or Bertagna GC? Attractive pricing on 09’s…

So here is a back to back of the same wine where the 2010 is priced significantly cheaper than the 2011 and it really has me scratching my head …

2010 Ponsot Corton Cuvee du Bourdon - $139.70
2011 Ponsot Corton Cuvee du Bourdon - $205.54

Despite quite a few hiccups with site performance and user experience, i put together a mixed case yesterday. Reading this just sent me back for another. You are all enablers.

I’m fascinated by your mixed romaji/katakana signature line.

I’m a Pinot fan, but a Burg neophyte. Picked up a mixed case of the following based on vintage, Critic scores / notes, CT scores /notes and relative discounts based on CT avg. cost and Wine searcher. Any Opinions?
Gevrey Chambertin Estournelles St. Jacques Louis Jadot 2009 $69.99
Clos de Vougeot Bertagna 2009 $84.99
Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers Olivier Bernstein 2009 $71.99
Nuits St Georges Pruliers Frederic Magnien 2002 $51.99

Does anyone have an opinion on the Duband Gevrey/Vosne wines?

The Estournelles is one of Jadot’s best 2nd tier 1er cru wines IMO (characterizing first tier as CSJ and Amoureuses). Alwasy really good though I remember when it was a $40 bottle. I’m old.

FYI.

20% off in store Saturday 12 - 4.

Anyone pick up Maison Ilan? ducks =D

Another e mail, another excuse to slide into bankruptcy.

Some Drouhin Beze 2009 and 2008 Pommard from Montille.

not sure if anyone else has noticed but there are quite a few new additions to the sale.
surprised all the bizot sold out already…unfortunately i only picked up a single bottle.

So how often does something like this come up?

I never really check Zackys. I’m trying very hard to resist buying anything right now.

If I were to get a half case, what are some good starter burgundies for someone who’s not all that familiar with them?

Noah, buy 09 Maume with absolute confidence. Beautiful, real Gevrey across the board. Big changes there following the 2011 vintages, so I can’t say after that.

Reviewing the site now, there is an ocean of good stuff below wholesale cost.

The Lucien Boillot wines are made by Pierre Boillot, brother of Louis, who is married to Ghislaine Barthod. Pierre and Louis split the domaine after the 2006 vintage. Both know how to make wine and they have lots of old vines. About 100 years-old in Cherbaudes. Don’t miss that one. Cherisy makes beautiful reds and whites. The Blagny rouge is one of Burgundy’s best kept secrets. Check out Don Cornwell’s notes on 2008 white Burgundy on this board as to quality of Cherisy’s whites.* They are gorgeous. For my palate, pre-2012 Maume are as good as Gevrey gets (I have no experience with the wines after the changes which occurred) - true old-school. Jean-Marc Vincent’s wines are about as sure a bet as there is in Burgundy. The prices here are silly. Those Guillemot Cortons will need some time, but they are loaded with material and character. Here are a few that I would jump all over without hesitation if I were not ITB myself:

2007 Lucien Boillot Fremiers, Cherbaudes, Pruliers, Brouillards
2009 Lucien Boillot Cherbaudes mag
2009 Maume Combe aux Moines
2008 Maume 1er cru
2009 Cherisy Blagny Rouge
2009/2010 Cherisy Blagny Rouge mag
2009 Follin-Arbetet Chapitre
2009/2010 Follin-Arbelet Vercots
2010 Follin-Arbelet Fichots mag
2011 Hudelot Noellat Murgers (I respectfully disagree with Adrian re the quality of this vintage; he and I are going to arm wrestle about the issue soon)
2010 Vincent Santenay Beaurepaire Blanc
2010 Vincent Beaurepaire Rouge mag
2008 Meo Camuzet Corton
2009/2010 Guillemot Corton
2010 Follin-Arbelet Corton
2011 Clair Petite Chapelle
2010 Cherisey Puligny Hameau de Blagny mag
2010 Cherisey Meursault Blagny mag
2011 Clair Dominode
2008 Bertheau Charmes

• #17 [Ringer 1 – 2008 De Cherisey Meursault Blagny La Genelotte]
    Between light and medium gold color. Really intense citrus with some matchstick reduction like Lefliaive – which blew off with about 45 minutes of air; a highly structured, lightly lemony wine almost layers of minerality. Seems to be MP; needs time. [N.B. An amazingly good wine in the context of this line up. This 1er vineyard is located above Meursault Perrieres. Defintely worth buying at about 10% of the cost of Roulot MP.] Group Rank: Tied for 11th , 7 points (0/1/0/1/1) 94

Definitely some good buys here but really frustrated by the lack of communication and lack of order confirmation from Zachys even after I emailed them, as Charlie suggested.

Gevrey Chambertin Combe Aux Moines Maume 2009
Corton Rouge Follin-Arbelet 2010

Half price. I am weak