PSA: Ridge

It’s a good solid year, but not a great one. That’s a 3 bottle lot. I’d buy at that price if I didn’t already have plenty. Been a few years since I’ve had it. We had an '03 from mag earlier this year and it was kick-ass. There’s a 3 bottle lot of that at the same price, so probably better buy. The '00 is drinking well now, too.

that 76 Monte Bello must’ve gone fast, when I went on forty minutes after it posted , it was already gone.

I love MB except 1999.

No surprise all the late picked / late harvest sons are left over.

Totally disagree. I had the '76 MB last year. The group of experienced tasters unanimously agreed it was great. Reminded me of the '90 Montrose.

Charlie-I had only two bottles, purchased on release and directly from the winery. IIRC, the second one was opened in 2001 at a HdR “dine-around” dinner. Mike Officer and Jay (don’t remember Jay’s last name-his asst winemaker) tasted it, again if my brain is not totally fried. I would be happy to hear that it is now showing well. I hope it does for you.

That said, when the so-so '99 is selling for more than twice the price of the '76, there is a hint of something amiss about the '76.

Can anyone give some insight as to why? Is it just a stylistic preference thing for most people or are they legitimately no good?

The 99 is a 3 btl lot.

I think they’re fantastic but just not everyone’s cup of tea.

Charlie, were there any other Cabs listed? Too much trouble wading through the list and including the out of stock items in the search.

One thing is certain. We’ll have no shortage of older Ridge wines for our group’s picnics for next year’s Montebello Component tastings! champagne.gif

Today’s email was all about 13 and 14 Jadot reds at sharp discount. Some very good prices. (I did not buy)

Yeah, I’ve had it plenty of times (and 8 bottles of the alt version with 15% Merlot, and the Ruby Cab a couple times and a Zin). Always good, and never any raisin, which is a characteristics I very much do not like.

Agreed! And they tend to age really well.