PSA: calvados

I’m a fan; I have all of the Camut bottlings, and they’re all good; I think 12, 18 and 25 are the sweet spots, though.

If you haven’t read it already; I’d get “by the smoke and the smell” by Thad Vogler. Must read for spirit lovers.

Thanks! You’ve been very helpful answering my questions here and via PM.

Is the wood dramatically more dominant in the 25 than in the 18?

Hard to get a handle on Williams palette, trying to understand it thgouth Cognac, which I’m more familiar. I liked his Delamian reviews (Tres Venerable not clearly better than Vespers) but while I enjoy Martell Cordon Blue (very nostalgic for me), his sky high score for something with such a sweet finish confuses me.

I don’t think the wood is noticeable on any of the camut. It’s very well integrated. It’s definitely not like older bourbon.

Thanks again!

Serious brandy fb group is also very useful.

K&L had a 15 year Camut specially bottled for them 8 years ago. Cost was ~$115, iirc. I tried it at a friend’s house and immediately purchased one. A couple of weeks ago, that same friend gave me the rest of his open bottle (won’t say why). My bottle is a bit over half full. That one, about 3/4. I think I’m good for now. :slight_smile:

I’m incorrect. The bottle just given to me is nearly full. :tumbler_glass:

Wow, my bottle of the Camut 25 came and I was very impressed!! Don’t know whee he got the wood notes.

Now I’ll have to buy the 18 as I don’t have any calvados defenders.

What do folks think about Lemorton 25? I heard it’s primarily pears, which sounds tasty.

I would consider the 12 Camut as a defender, but the price differential between the 12 and 18 is modest.

I think 12, 18, and 25 are all fantastic. 12 and 18 are likely the sweet spot for Camus, though.

Sweet spot in consideration of price or without price consideration.

Phrased another way, would you want a 12 year and an 18 year or 2 18 year Camuts if the cost was the same.

(The differential in Europe seems more modes than here, especailly between 18 and 25).

I would get one of each. Older isn’t necessarily better when it comes to calvados.