PSA - Calera Library on Sale at KL

We did a Jensen vertical last night. The organizer was worried they wouldn’t hold up with a lot of air, so did pop-n-pour for bother flights. To me, most actually needed air. I revisited a couple of those a couple hours later and they’d rounded out nicely, after showing too much tannin and something else.

It was 9 Jensens from '80-'96, the '84 Reed and 2 Burg ringers. Preferences were all over the place. The '80 had a nice level of brett, so many called it as a Burg ringer. Some didn’t like it, others had it as a fave. The '83 was great, and I think would’ve been the group fave if we’d have voted, but there was dissent. It’s one that showed well off the bat. The '82 was oxidized and acetic (lowest fill bottle), so one dud. The '81 was among the tannic ones that needed air that I retasted and was fantastic. Others were loving the wines that, to me, needed air, so YMMV. Along those lines, the most mature seeming wine, which I loved, was an '85 Burg ringer. Many (heathens!) thought it tired. The '96, which apparently Josh has said was the best wine he ever made, was still, to me, maybe 15 years from peak. Too young to open right now.

3 Likes