Provençal Chicken on brown rice (again) with Ridge Syrah/Grenache

Tonight’s supper was Pollo Real’s Label Rouge chicken legs (leg + thigh), picked up this morning at the Farmers’ Market, braised in the left-over stock from the previous meal, after searing in Blood Orange Olive Oil, and sprinkling with Herbes de Provence. The chicken was served over brown rice, cooked in chicken stock with a bit of onion powder. The meal was enjoyed, out on our patio on a clear, cooling summer eve, with a 2001 Ridge Syrah / Grenache, a 50/50 mixture from their Lytton Estate in Dry Creek Valley, which had great fill - just below the cork; bright ruby-garnet in color; rich cherry-berry fruit in nose & flavors; a little harsh tannins in the mid-palate; and a medium long berry fruit finish. Paul Draper’s notes on the bottle, written in March 2003, were best over 5 to 10 years from then. I disagree, for me Paul’s note are very conservative. I usually start to drink his wines after the end of his window. We probably won’t have another of these for several years.

Thanks for the note Dick. I believe they are going to discontinue this bottling per someone who works there. They don’t see to have the will to really put a concerted effort into the Rhone varieties.

What are they going to do with the Lytton Estate grapes? Sell them. re-plant, or ???. [cry.gif]

I don’t know that much. Just that someone realized if they are always making a 50/50 blend then they really are not paying attention to making the best blend possible. I’m sure the Lytton Zin blend isn’t going anywhere though. I had one of their ATP Grenaches that I thought was outstanding a year or so ago.

I don’t know that it’s always 50/50. This one was made from selected leftovers from the main syrah and grenache individual bottlings. So they were separately vinified, separately barrel-aged for some time, then selected, blended, and further barrel-aged for a few more months.