Proof of purchase required for corkage in PA?

Never had that happen to me in PA. Been gone 1.5 yrs now so maybe things are different now.

Royal is the best sushi in Philly and better than most if not all places I’ve had in San Francisco. I think they only seat a couple tables in the back though; the rest is 10 or 12 sushi bar seats. Omakase as you would expect.

Amanda is fine for tapas, but I resent them for their terrible wine prices. I think Oloroso and Tinto have better food. Oloroso also has a great sherry list and very knowledgeable service.

Who said the Soviet Union is dead? We still have the remnants in PA holding on to the last piece of the socalist system. I am rather sure (PA attorneys correct me if I am wrong), that there is no specific statute in Pennsylvania criminal or civil law that explicitly stated you are not allowed to consume a bottle of wine in the state that does not have proof of purchase within the state. Then again, this IS Pennsylvania. Can’t wait for the new recreational pot consumption laws, and proof of purchase for ziplock bags of sensimellua.
Agree with all the suggestions above, but if you really want to f*** with the system, I suggest decanting you favorite bottle of wine into a properly PLCB labeled bottle. Then re insert the cork, best to use an Ah So extractor, and a slip on capsule. Take it to the restaurant and proudly display your properly tagged bottle to the some. Laugh all the way through dinner!!!

Ask them where they get their fish…

Live in Pittsburgh and eat out at least 2 times a week and go BYOB or pay corkage and that has never happened to me. Only restriction by the restaurant is the bottle can’t be on their list if they have a alcohol license.

Well, they claim most of their fish comes from Japan not Atlantic ocean. So for fish OK, wine not so much.

There seems to be a perception that the PA purchase requirement is a Morimoto rule - it is not; it is a PA PLCB and/or Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement rule.

Licensees are strictly liable for any violations of the Liquor Code and must ensure that
alcohol is not being served to minors or visibly intoxicated patrons on the licensed
premises. 47 P.S. § 4-493(1). Also, any wine, spirits, or malt or brewed beverages brought
by the guests must be legally procured in Pennsylvania.

I have seen BYOs post signs that wines must bear a PLCB sticker. I suspect that happens when they or their local competitors have been fined or warned during an (apparently very rare) enforcement binge.

BTW - I’m not championing the ruie; the Commonweath; or even Morimoto!

So if I " procured" a wine from Ca and legally shipped to Pa from a licensed winery I can’t take it in because it doesn’t have a PLCB code?

I haven’t done that - do they put a PA tax sticker on?

My guess is that the regs haven’t been adjusted since that became legal and you’ve found a loophole. If I were the owner of a BYO which had recently been harassed or fined I wouldn’t be interested in the nuance.

I live in PA and have never been asked that before, I do however make sure the bottle I bring is not on their wine list. Usually they won’t allow you to bring a bottle that is on their wine list and at that point I could see them asking for proof of purchase because you might’ve ordered it at the bar before sitting down.

Mostly this would be enforced in the Philadelphia area, few people go to Ohio, WV or the adjacent parts of NYS for wine. NJ, DE and MD all have good wine stores across the border.
Not all wine that is sold by the PLCB has a sticker and definitely no tax stamps.

I heard they will soon enforce a PA strawberry wine only rule. BYO or not, PA made wine only at restaurants and it must be strawberry. None of that cherry mouthwash.