Produttori Riservas Question

Is the ~$60 a price increase over the last few years? If so, what % increase? In the Levi Dalton podcast mentioned earlier I know Aldo Vacca mentioned prices would be going up due to increased demand, and supply obviously being finite.

My only benchmark for pricing is Canadian pricing, which in this case seems to be quite favorable, but I’ve concerned that '13s would see a huge price increase. Especially when you pile a price increase on top of a strengthening Euro.

Would also be interested in a “where to buy”

I paid $65 for the wines I was offered on pre-order. But that was last September.

i think its a slight increase. still one of the best deals I can think of in Piedmont though.

And, of course, the Canadian dollar has strengthened against the US dollar in the last three years, though not as much as the euro is up against the US$.

Yes, it seems we have favored status with the PdB here in BC. Our Provincial stores will have 8 of the Riservas all at $63 cdn. This could change due to across the board price increases but the pricing has been set.

Last time I was in the Flagship Vancouver store you could barely move because of all the 2015 over priced Burgundy. This coupled with the Bordeaux and Napa releases means these wines may not show up until the fall. I am assured they are all in the warehouse.

I notice K and L has these wines for a broad price range the low being 60 and the high 80 for the Rabaja. All pre orders.

Question for the group: I believe the winery sells them all at the same price because of their arrangements with the growers. Are retailers bound by similar agreements to price them all the same (at least for those obtained through the normal channels)?

In the US, I think it’s generally a violation of antitrust laws for a distributor to force a retailer to sell at a particular price. Though I think it’s less black-and-white than it was when I was in law school. It used to be considered price fixing.

I did find it odd that the prices were so different. At those prices it seems they may have gotten them from a non traditional source. If I had to buy at those prices it would be an easy pass for me.

I always assumed that once it leaves the winery, its on its own as far as price goes. everyone in my area gets it from the same distributor (i asked them all) and yet still the price varies by about $15, and the price even varies at the same store among different cru.

At pre-arrival stage and first release the prices were much more equal the last couple vintages, then after release (and critics scores) I saw them diverge more, though especially for the 13s the Asili, Rabaja, and Montestefano all seemed to get released in the US at a premium.

I think they are all the same price at the winery and from the distributors. If there are mark-ups, I think it’s by the retailers.

that would make sense

What? 63Cdn? All Cru’s are selling for 99Cdn here in Calgary. Stock is also limited.

Of course this all just in theory as our LDB has not found the time to get them in the stores. I asked one of the product consultants about the wines arrival and he was unfamiliar with not only the Produttori, but also Barbaresco.

I wouldn’t call them product consultants if they have no clue what Barbaresco is