Probably a rehash but here goes….(child birth year purchase)

So I’m definitely not a big spender compared to some here but I’d like to put away some 2022’s for my one and only child I’m to have. If you were to “invest” $8-10k on 1-2 cases of new release wine to hand over in 20 or so years what would you choose?

I’m purposely trying to keep this impersonal. I’d love to know just what some of you think might be okay in 40 years. It’s been hard eeking together those 83’s lately.

Much appreciated in advance.

2 Likes

I put down champagne myself. I figured thats what they will most likely appreciate at that age because it seems to me like an 18yo just isnt ready to appreciate Bordeaux

4 Likes

I did this for my son when he was born in 2008, although my budget was smaller than yours. I went with a case of Ch Gazin, his name is Gavin, so it was close and six bottles of Ridge Monte Bello.

I have also picked up some Rioja here and there of the '08’s as well.

3 Likes

I’d probably save some money and get Mosel riesling, Sauternes, and Port; almost guaranteed to be great in 25 years–and enjoyed by someone who isn’t a wine connoisseur. Put the rest of the money into a college fund or stocks for them.

8 Likes

If you’re looking at this as partially an “investment”, red Burgundy is the best bet. It’s very good year and it’s likely to appreciate the most without any premox concerns. Vintage champagne would be my second suggestion, though the big house vintages won’t be out for quite some time, or course.

Other suggestions are equally valid, of course, though you’re a lot more likely to be able to buy them in the future at reasonably similar prices if current trends hold.

2 Likes

I’ll agree with the above posts.

For investment, top tier red Burg or FG Bordeaux.

For the child’s enjoyment at age 21, something sweet like Sauternes, a Mosel Auslese, or Port.

There’s another angle here: it’s likely that you won’t physically “hand over” the wine in 20 or so years. The young adult isn’t likely to have anywhere to properly store it. There’s a possibility that the wine will remain in your cellar and serve as a source of special bottles to share with your child on special occasions.

There’s also a possibility that the child won’t be that interested in wine. In our case, our 32 yo daughter likes wine and can describe it as well as or better than most of us here, but isn’t passionate about it and isn’t interested in owning “her” bottles. She’s happy when we open a birth vintage wine for a special occasion, with or without her.

I would buy a mix of things. Some sweet wines to open when he/she reaches drinking age, some less than top tier Bordeaux and Burg that can be enjoyed without guilt over the now-astronomical price, and some top tier stuff that can either be drunk on special occasions or just held as an investment.

4 Likes

I think it’s way too early to decide. I suspect if you look European, you will find a lot of the best regions experienced extreme heat, and how they coped with that will be clearer after tasting the wines. For instance Bordeaux had problems, but early reports suggest the grapes came in in good shape. (The same was said about 2003, where only a fraction of the wines turned out well).

I would suggest reviving the thread next year, when at least you will have a better idea of winners and losers after the initial tastings.

7 Likes

Format is probably underappreciated - buy magnums. Assuming they will be enjoying at 21, 30, 40+ years of age, most if not all great wine regions produce wine that age, especially in that format. Also, +1 for Champagne (you have around a decade before most of the grandes marques become available, and maybe 5 years before many of the growers).

6 Likes

My kids also enjoy when we open their birth years when we go out for their birthdays, even though they are years away from actually drinking any of it.

4 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes

There is one reason to buy early/en primeur for Bordeaux, and that is if you want special formats: mags, etc.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the great advice.

I definitely agree that it’s quite early to think about but figured I’d at least start percolating on it now. I will certainly revive this periodically.

Regarding budget, I guess that’s more of a top end, so I’d say I’m hoping to spend less.

Thanks again all!

2 Likes

I have Krug MV (with birth year base) and DP.

1 Like

Only bought a single bottle of wine for my first kid. A 2016 Chave Hermitage. When he turns 21 he can either drink it or sell it. If he sells it, i will buy it from him and drink it myself :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I am buying stuff that I will want to drink with them in 10-20-30 years. Of course my palate can change too, but at this point I truly have no idea whether they’ll even care about wine when they are older, let alone what they will like!

3 Likes

Anecdotal non-scientific sample: my sons and their friends in their early 20s have ZERO interest in drinking Mosel, Port or Sauternes.

If I had this to do over I’d buy blue chips like Bordeaux and Champagne. Broader appeal and versatile.

3 Likes

More anecdotal data: My babies are in their 20s now. They (and their friends) never turn down Champagne. Maybe it’s a cultural thing that will change in decades but bubbly is always popular. Second most popular - anything sweet, and the sweeter the better. German Riesling Spätlese/Auslese, Sauternes yes. Vintage Port? No, it’s definitely more of an acquired taste.

For the dry reds and whites that we Berserkers drink a ton of, I have a variety of responses. Some of the kids in their 20s don’t like them. Some do. Most will drink a glass or two with a meal. A very few pay attention, like it, are curious, and intrigued by the flavors of aged wine.

My own opinion, but when we get these birth year wines they are more for ourselves than for our kids. Celebrating the special adult birthdays with these bottles is fun and a way of sharing our hobbies and passions with our kids, which is always a good way to connect across the decades. So: get some of what you like!

9 Likes

Oh, and you really don’t need to spend thousands per bottle for this, unless you are so flush with cash that you are ultra price insensitive. If you even spend $5k on two cases, that averages over $200 per bottle which gets you fantastic long aging choices. E.g you could get a case of Dom Perignon, 6 bottles of JJ Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese and 6 bottles of Lynch Bages. Or some other combination of similar quality - infinite choices.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Bears repeating.

1 Like

It depends on your kids’ education and relationship with wine by their early 20s. My parents gave me tastes of what they felt was good wine, and I have had the opposite problem many describe. It was harder for me to like sweet wines because I’d mostly experienced dry European wines before college. I still didn’t have the most discerning taste by then, but I very much appreciated dry Bordeaux reds over sweet wines.

I also like that my dad didn’t just hand me cases of top notch wine in one chunk. I would have plowed through it without much appreciation or been too afraid to open. I got different birth year/near birth year wines metered out as Christmas and birthday gifts for many years, or he would open them for family gatherings when we were all together. Personally, I see my kid’s birth year wines as my wines that I may decide to give him, drink with him, or not. IMO, buy things you’d like to share or pass on to the next generation because they are special to you. Don’t over think what they may or may not like.

4 Likes