Private Wine Tour Guide - Bordeaux

My wife and I will be in Bordeaux at the end of October for 5 days. I am looking for references and contact information for a private Wine Tour Guide. We tend to like the smaller “Boutique” wineries than the larger wineries.

Cheers

You might be arriving at the right time of the year to catch some of the Portes Oeuverts. AlexR discusses one day below but he has reported on several of them if you use the searches function. It could be a nice way to see some of the smaller properties.

1 Like

I do not have any recommendations for a guide for you, but I would encourage you to at least focus on a few of the big Chateau, as frankly, that generally is a higher expression of Bordeaux. This is fundamentally different than Napa. Mouton has a super cool tour, and the museum with all the art labels is definitely worth a visit.

On the smaller scale, I’d try to visit Clos Jaugueyron and Bel Air Marquis d’Alegre. And some estates from Pomerol.

4 Likes

I have only been to Bordeaux once - honestly the big wineries were just fine although I did get to meet the owner at one of the smaller wineries and did a barrel tasting. Mouton was great as was Beycheville - honestly it isn’t the same as going to the big wineries in California. A lot less traffic.

1 Like

Henri Challeau. I would also reach out to your wine merchant to seek assistance in setting up visits.

This was the name I found referenced most often searching these threads. He was unavailable for our visit last May, and we instead connected with Frederic Borliachon. He was quite knowledgeable, funny, and passionate about wine (also a former winemaker). He can do any mix of tour you wish and was quite adaptable to our suggestions and also helpful with his own recommendations.

1 Like

Definitely do Henri if he’s available. Had him for 4 days in June this year and he’s an absolute encyclopedia of knowledge. Super nice, professional and clearly has connections throughout bordeaux from big to small. Fun fact but he was one of the original guys that convinced bordeaux vineyards to open up to wine tours. Well worth it!

1 Like

My good friend Hamish Wakes-Miller runs a company called Bella Wine Tours. He knows everything and everyone and on top of it all is a really nice guy. I recommend him fully and he will be able to get you into some pretty hard to get addresses as he deals with high profile clients.

BELLA WINE TOURS

Cheers.

2 Likes
1 Like

Bordeaux Saveurs is run by Sylvie Cazes. I did a large group toir with them but their web site indicates individual tours as well.

I completely understand the convenience of using a hassle-free wine tour guide, who I imagine will pick you up at your hotel and whisk you off to appointments. If you’re worried about driving in France it makes perfect sense.

But if you’re not worried about driving and already plan on hiring a car, it really is easy today to do it yourself. All the chateaux or wineries I have visited do individual tours in English, including Clos du Jaugueyron (thanks Robert for the quote) - Stéphanie Destruhaut is an English-speaking former guide.
Most of them can be booked using their website, if not by email. And it’s a lot of fun!

2 Likes

Henri Challeau. I toured with him in 2014 My trip to Bordeaux - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers However, I also have a good friend who went out with him this August and had a great time.

2 Likes

I can totally second this suggestion. I have had the pleasure of touring twice with Hamish and Johan is right: he does know everything and everyone, and is delightful company.

1 Like

I totally third the recommendation.

I told Hamish the areas we wanted to see and some specific wineries and he arranged it all. Seamless and expert.

2 Likes