Price of 2016 Monte Bello Futures Rises to $115

The 07 in small format will give you wood.

I’m buying, but may cut back on the number of bottles. There are some great 2014 Bordeaux at similar or lower prices.

First I was like “Ah, it’s got a lot of oak still”. Then the light bulb went on… [cheers.gif]

If not, you can write me a script.

I had a 1980 last year or maybe 18 mos ago that was beautiful!!

Technically, Eric has been making Monte Bello since the 2006 vintage, though Paul led the assemblage tastings and had veto power over any winemaking decisions.

Why do we just accept wines increasing way faster than inflation, the 2014 were i think $98, thats a 17% increase in two years.

Its a good wine but compared to salaries wines are out of control

'95 and '99 were fantastic last October.

Wine needs to get in line behind college tuition and healthcare.

Well, “we” don’t just accept it (everyone makes their own decisions, and some people have already stopped buying Monte Bello as it rose in price over the past 5-6 years). But one answer, in this particular case, is that Monte Bello had held its pricing quite stable for many years. They weren’t getting a lot of reviews, which is probably part of the reason, and when Parker and Spectator (and I assume others) got back on the bandwagon a few years ago and lauded Monte Bello, Ridge started to raise the prices. Even so, compared to the “average” higher end Cabernet, and considering (in my, and many others opinion) that Monte Bello is one of the top wines made in the state, $115 is a pretty reasonable price. Would I like to be paying the $65 I was paying as late as the 2005 vintage (it hadn’t changed in at least 5 years at that point)? you bet, but that’s not realistic in this day and age.

It’s just supply and demand. If people stop buying, prices will drop. But there’s no reason to expect a price drop if demand exceeds supply.

I’m a buyer.

The 2013 futures were $98. 2014 was $105.

Still a buyer. No question.

JD

The 2008, my son’s birth year were $80.00 per…

Ridge and Montelena are my only two remaining lists that I won’t give up. At my age my kids will be drinking them long after I’m gone.

+1 except the idiot at WS was reviewing/underrating them all along. Their estate Cab sat at $25 for a long time, which was an insane qpr. Market recognition has gone way up and their prices have been easing up, feeling that out, and being accepted.

Holy cow! I just paid over 200 bones for a bottle of the 2013 montebello straight from ridge :confused: How does one get on the mailing list at Ridge?

Hence the rationale for buying futures! That '13, BTW, should be a beaut.

If I seem partial to Ridge, I grew up in the valley (Palo Alto) and lived in the shadow of Montebello Ridge for a time. I am friends and a non-profit coworker with David Gates. And I’ve loved Ridge wines for over 30 years.

Why do we accept it? [wow.gif]

Interesting question. Capitalism suggests we accept it or we don’t, based on our ability and desire to pay. I will continue to pay until I decide it is not worth the price nor my ability to pay. Is wine really out of control? If not, then that would imply folks ability or priority to pay is keeping pace. If not, there would be no price increase. [cheers.gif]

The 1980 was $30 on futures if I recall. So 3.8% per year over the 36 years.

There was very, very little increase in price through the 80’s and 90’s, so this “curve” is not a straight line.