Premoxed 2010 Huet Vouvray Le Mont

I opened a badly premoxed '07 Le Mont Sec a week and a half ago

Popped my first premoxed huet a couple of weeks ago–an 05 le mont demi. Noticable brown tinting and almost no fruit whatsoever. A very nice wine the last time i had it, about 18 months ago.

Elliot

I had recalled this discussion (even though I suffer often with CRS). I would have loved to have saved a glass of this to share with Mr Seiber later but…opened and finished last night. Gotta say, the bottle last night seemed a little advanced. Pox’d? No, but as my note will suggest, something is showing here that seems advanced as compared to the bottle from August 2015. I offer both notes for contrast.

• 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray **(8/3/2015)**
    From 375. Like a year and a half since the last bottle, this is drinking terrific. Peach, tart pineapple, lemon, grapefruit and a good push of acidity too into the finish. Might be a bit too much acidic cut for some but I would rather have wine taste as this does than taste a bunch of glycerine. Lively, refreshing and delicious, I can drink this stuff all day long!

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray **(10/29/2016)**
    Since 2012, I have drank 6 bottles of this and kept notes on each. Last night’s bottle, drank from 375, was the first time I sensed this wine is starting to soften, darker and suggest either age and/or some ox creeping in. The color is moving away from the more transparent tones of the early bottles to a little more bronzy–not yellowing but it’s darkening. The texture was a little fatter too, for sure not the acidic cut that I mentioned in my August 2015 note. Lime, golden apple, lots of chenin flavor and honeyed edges. It doesn’t have that laser feel of earlier bottles. I did like it, and my wife and I polished it off…but I wonder how I oughta approach my last 3 750s.

Posted from CellarTracker

This is spot on. One bottle means nothing. There always has been sporadic oxidation of some bottles, probably due to cork failure in most cases. I think people are FAR too quick to cry premox these days.

Doug, geez. I posted a TN to add to the discussion, actually to support Brad’s thought that we need to see more instances of variation.

Sorry, Frank. I was responding to the first post rather than yours, without realizing that this was an old thread. You didn’t specifically blame premox, and I do think it’s good to get more information together as you’re doing. In any case, I didn’t mean to come across as offensive.

Doug, all good. I often look for an old thread first, to support building topics and having some history.

Oh no! My 2010 Le Mont Sec tonight was nonoxed!!! Actually, it was fresh as a daisy. Perfect color, nose and palate. It’s barely changed since, after my first sip, I bought every last bottle I could find in the country in 2012 (my biggest one-wine purchase; over three cases). I’m hoping “reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated,” to paraphrase Mark Twain. It sounds like there are some oxidizing early; Chris likes these as much as me. Maybe it’s the short corks Huet uses, maybe something else. Fortunately, I’m 26 for 26 on the '10 Secs, not a bad bottle yet. I have had some premoxed '02’s (spell check keeps making them “premixed”), so I’m not holding many of these for the long haul…
IMG_0104.JPG

Cheers,
Warren

26 for 26? That is a lot of Huet!

It works out to about six a year. I go through as much '12 and '14 Pepierre Briords, They’ve all become “house whites.”
Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a wine buying problem rather than a drinking problem. I’m finally tackling the first component of that equation.

Cheers,
Warren

If it was a White Burgundy, there is absolutely no reason to be shocked
But maybe in this case

So, the two instances for the 2010 Le Mont were 375’s. Any 2010 750’s? I’m quite curious, as I still have about 8 Le Mont as well as a case of Haut Lieu and Du Bourg. It was Pinguet’s before he was run off by the new regime, and it would be cruel if there were issues.

I’m just jealous! Went through a half case of 14 Briords and couldn’t find anymore. Never thought I’d go through them that fast…

Have had about 2 cases of 2010 LM. All spectacular. 2014 is as well

I have a lot of these as well. On CT, I scanned all of the TN’s back three years. FMIII noticed perhaps some oxidation in a .375, and one person in April thought there were oxidative notes as well (bottle size wasn’t evident) That’s still less than 1 or 2% or so.

I haven’t had a bad 750 of any of the 2010 Secs, and I’ve had quite a few 375’s that were solid (but not for a while now). I’ll visit a 375 and see if they’re a harbinger of things to come for the full bottles. As I said above, I’ve always worried about the short corks in these. I remember posting that on the old eRP board years ago, and the big man himself opined they weren’t an issue.

Cheers,
Warren