Preferred Burgundy Glass

Thanks Brad! Need to give them a try.

Cheers!
Marshall

Thanks for the info Brad. I haven’t had the pleasure, but will be on the lookout for the Sensory when its available.

I’m a big fan of the Zaltos, mainly the Universal. As you mentioned, the Zalto Burgundy is the size of a small pumpkin, which makes it a bit unwieldy (although it is amazing how light a glass it still is, despite its gourd-like girth.). For work drinking, I use the Universal and Burgundy side by side, as I find they highlight different elements of the wine, which is quite helpful for barrel samples. For finished wine, the Universal is a go-to.

In the tasting room, I use a Korin Burgundy glass, which is clear, doesn’t chip, and durable, without the weight of a lead goblet. https://www.korin.com/GL-D105_2. Really good price point as well, at $7, and now on sale for less. For whatever reason the flared tulip lip of the Oregon Riedel really irks me.

thanks, I’m looking forward to getting old and grizzled, I think I’d be really good at it.
It’s not the cabinet space I worry about so much as the dishwasher space and also the general fahrvergnügen in the hand. Some of these giant-bowled glasses feel like the basic act of giving it a swirl might generate so much centripetal force the bowl could disattach at any moment and fly clear across the room.

Zalto Bordeaux for youNg and old white burgundy.

Could one of you who has the Conterno glasses please post a picture of it next to another glass or two. I’m curious about just how large it is. Because Brad is completely right about Zalto burgs – I have a several, and all but one of them are in a box somewhere. I like to keep one out to occasionally compare with other glasses – but I don’t use it very often other than that.

Got the Grassl 1855 and Cru as well as the Glasvin in yesterday and christened them with a 1975 Ducru. The 1855 is without a doubt the best Bordeaux glass I’ve ever had. Crazy thin and light, but great balance. The base is like a magnet to the table when you set it down. There’s no fear of tipping it over. The wide bowl gives tons of air to the wine and swirls beautifully. The narrower top definitely focuses the nose, but is big enough that it doesn’t hit you in the nose when you empty the glass. The thin glass feels amazing on the mouth; like it’s not even there.

The lightness of the Glasvin puts the Riedel Somm to shame. However, the lightness of the Grassl puts them both to shame.

The Glasvin is a good universal glass for tastings, maybe beer, older Champagne. But I definitely see myself using the Grassl every day and am ordering more.

I’ll try to take one this evening, but it’s a little bit smaller than the Zalto Burgundy glass and obviously quite different in profile. While as I mentioned I’d like it even more if it were 10-15% smaller, it’s far from the largest glass on the market.

I hope it helps…
B8C7C1AA-E4D8-404E-AD27-B707E493A204.jpeg

Hey it’s worth it if you believe the glass can change where the wine hits the palate. That swirl might be the difference between the sweet spot and a complete fail.

I completely agree with this post! (Except for the therapy part. That I am unqualified to judge but will take your word for it).

Marcus, you use Liberte in your tasting room right? Can’t remember if that is what we used when we were there last September or not. Do you feel the Liberte is good for both your whites and Pinot? I have the 1855 and love them for Bordeaux and Rhône varetials but Pinot Noir doesn’t jump out at me in them like I expected. Debating whether to buy the Liberte like you use in tasting room or go with cru.

Josh, FWIW, I’ve been drinking Marcus’ pinot noir from Grassl Cru and find they really show well. Haven’t used that glass for his whites yet, but they show well in GGG, which has a similar shape as the Grassl Liberte.

The Conterno definitely resembles the regular Schott Zweisel Burgundy stems. I have a pair and I use them regularly. Short stem with a sturdy base. And I think they were only $15 a piece.

I have the Grassl tasting glass set which has dimensions very close to Liberte. Didn’t really realize how close they were until looking at the site this morning.

We like Zalto burgs for PN and some chards.

Thanks! That was indeed helpful.

Exchanged a few emails with Chris today and decided to do the decanter set that includes a couple Liberté stems. He encouraged me to use Liberté for younger wines and Cru for wines with some age.

He also is giving me a great replacement price on a broken 1855. Our 100 lb Lab’s tail whacked it last night while the glass was sitting on a coffee table. Great service from Chris!

They are really very similar in bowl size and shape. The liberté is a much more elegant glass, with a taller, thinner stem and lip, but the bowls are nearly identical. The tasting glass is machine blown and quite sturdy. The liberté has become my go-to champagne glass, but I’m going to look into the Zalto white for that purpose as well

You should try champagne in the Grassl Mineralite glass. Bueker turned me onto it.

Thanks for the tip