Postponed releases - RAYAS, OGIER, MUGNIER etc.

When a winemaker sells you a wine when s/he thinks it is ready to drink, s/he is not dictating to you but selling to you what s/he thinks is the wine s/he wants to sell. The people who make the stuff have the right to make such determinations.

A winemaker is entitled to do with his product what he wants to - sell it, not selling it, earlier/later, even drinking all himself - (that excludes long term contracts with importers etc). This is not dictating the consumer what to do.

However I personally prefer to decide on my own. I have a good cool cellar, I love aged wines, but now and then like to taste a bottle out of 6 or 12 young after bottling.

I also prefer to buy early and cheaper than later and more expensive.

Sure, we all have our preferences. Some of them are based on habit, though. I take it you don’t object to those winemakers who bottle sometimes as much as a couple of years later than others. You let them decide when to put it in bottle acccording to their lights. If you don’t like the result you don’t buy it. If you think they are asking more than it’s worth, you don’t buy it, etc. This is really no different.

My issue is the statement that many in the US are emptying cases soon after purchase, as if that is some crime. I don’t care how long the vintners hold the wine, I just object to them telling me what to do after I purchase or insinuating that my choices are invalid.

I think if you are making a conscious choice, it’s valid. But I’m guessing most consumers aren’t making a conscious choice - that they don’t even understand the benefits of aging, or whether a wine can be drunk “too young”. (And yes, I get that term is subjective - if you like them young, you like them young - you know what you’re in for).

You’re an unintended casualty in this, similar to those with proper cellars that prefer “buy and hold”.

It’ s certainly not a “crime” - it’s got to do with culture … cellaring a wine, opening it properly (with aeration time), enjoying it in full maturity and best condition … it’ s definitely different from coke or bud …
I do understand when producers hold back some or all wines … and it’s THEIR right to do so … even if I’m personally not that happy about …

Jonathan,
I generally agreed with you, just quoted your reply … no major differences.

By the way, I have a particular reason to be happy about this decision at Chateau des Tours. I don’t buy their wines in the US because the mark-up makes it not worth it to me. I buy it regularly at the domaine when I am here because, although the Vacqueyras is more expensive than most, given the quality, I think it a good deal. But I have no cellar in my house in the Rhone valley and have to drink what I buy right away. The ability to buy 10 year old wines is great for me. I have no idea how generalizable my situation is.

The 2012 (and now 2009) Is/will be far from mature in 3 years.
1999+2000 is nearly ready… 2004 accessable …

Btw: the V. 2009 (some backfilling bottles received) was 30 € last week, the 2011 last year was (if I remember correctly) 27 €

Yes, those are the prices I paid. I am happy to be able to drink the 09 now. As I said, I don’t have a cellar in Provence as I won’t pay $75-80 in the US.

It should not be too difficult to find anybody in the Rhone valley whom you can trust and who stores wines for you.
I have several adresses where I can have wine sent to … just to collect them when I´m there again. Doesn´t even cost me money, just one or two bottles of German Riesling next time I´m there -

I must have the wrong friends. Short of asking a vigneron, I don’t know people with cellars.

+1

Rioja rocks.

With the nuances and huge variances in US liquor sales laws, could there be other outcomes from this? I think I’ve read (maybe here?) that some states have distribution laws which may not be as restrictive based on the age of the wine…Then again, I could have my head up my ass, wouldn’t be the first time.

I have no idea if there is any basis for that - but if this is the case it´s certainly no reason for French producers to postpone releases, maybe for importers to ship them over.

A London wine merchant contacted me yesterday offering the 2010 Rayas at £825 (GB Pounds Sterling) per bottle in-bond. This is in contrast to the £210 (GB Pounds Sterling) per bottle in-bond price paid for the 2009 Rayas on its release. Links along the distribution chain have decided to profit whilst they can.

I was offered yesterday the 2008 $575 and 2009 $650 Rayas CdP. Not gray market

If one does not have a chance to taste the same wine at age 5, age 10 and/or age 15…how does one know ?

Different strokes for different folks.

How is the 2015 Domaine des Tours vintage?

I haven’t had the Vaucluse but I had the 2015 Chateau des Tours CDR last night. It’s very true to its style but on the bigger/boozier side for this wine. For young drinking I probably prefer the lighter ones like 08, 11, 14. It was pop-n-pour which isn’t always best for this wine so I’ll check in on the rest of the bottle tonight.