Post your WOTYs---and Discovery of the Year--TABULATION COMPLETE

“a train smash of yum yum” – not sure what it means exactly, but I like it. Is that an NZ expression?

The Montrachet sounds great Mike.

I will wait until year end for my top wines, but I will say my find of the year was Domaine Dublere. Had tasted and enjoyed a few of their wines, but it was eye opening to go there and taste through a range of their wines.

By the way, I just got in a few bottles of Kalin, including one of the Semillon. I look forward to trying these.

Though it is very difficult to narrow down one, or even five, of the best bottles I’ve had in a year, I always find it interesting/worthwhile to participate in such threads as they drive me to think/recall, and, thus, better appreciate the wines of the year past; so here goes (subject to addition by year end):

1970 Château La Fleur-Pétrus - Stunning. A bit pricey, but not at all terribly expensive. Fine, aged Pomerol.

1971 Château Latour - Fine, fine form, from an under-appreciated vintage.

1985 Pothier-Rieusset Pommard 1er Cru Rugiens - Beautiful bouquet, very proper showing all around, and for a shockingly low price tag.

1899 Château Le Mayne Sauternes - Honestly, more for the history than anything else; after all, it is rare to have a wine over a century old. This totally overshadowed the 1929 Château Margaux that preceded.

1998 J-L Chave Hermitage Blanc - Incredible complexity.

2004 Pousse d’Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Bousse d’Or - Mainly because it showed so well despite being from such a difficult and much maligned vintage.

1983 Cheval Blanc - Beautiful balance and harmony; courtesy of fellow Wineberserker, Sr. Don Clem Nieto.

Over the past year, I’ve enjoyed several hundreds of bottles, many from more famous producers and more heralded vintages, but the above-listed clearly stood out for me.

As regards “discovery of the year”, that would have to be chinon blanc (had a couple of wonderful ones in Tours by Baudry and Couly Duthiel).

Best,

N

Some of my favorites have been 1986 & 1987 Domaine du Trévallon, 1986 Gruaud Larose, 1990 Ch. Margaux, 1993 Trimbach CFE, 2010 Copain Brosseau Chardonnay, and 1990 Zind Humbrecht Tokay Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl VT. Best wine hands down was 2010 Dujac CDLR.

Mike,

Best is always difficult for me. So much depends on the setting and company.

I think the most intriguing champagne I have tasted is the 2002 Vintage Champagne from Selosse that I tasted in France. A delicious drink.

White. Is difficult. I really loved the 2010 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Ruchottes that I tasted a few months ago however. 2011 Paul Pernot Batard wasn’t too shabby either.

Red. 1964 Cheval Blanc. That is mainly because it is the most recent.

yum. 02 selosse might be my champagne of the year as well. What an epic bottle. Too bad so little of it in north america

@ Gary A: Not a NZ expression at all - sometimes I write my notes in an allegorical style i.e. seeking to describe emote/sensation vs sense/sensation and I recall that when I had this it put me in mind of a train smash in a good way: not too fast but absolutely inevitable and unstoppable, and it went on for a long time, consisting of many many pieces, each precise and moving in its own way :slight_smile:. Disclaimer - i have never been part of or observed a train smash first hand; all notes are based on fictional events and any resemblance to real notes or events is purely coincidental…

My pleasure, sir! Most of the '82s we popped this year drank very very well.

I’ve had some really great wines this year - a year of deep, quality drinking - but I don’t think I’ve had one of those OMFG moments this year. Perhaps tonight at Bern’s . . . .

I thought it was going to be the 2007 Realm Bard. I payed about $100 for the bottle. Loved this wine and rated It a 93 and another night a 94.

But last night my girlfriend made brisket with garlic mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I decided to open up a zinfandel.

WOTY for me is now the 2007 Turley Hayne vineyard zin. I payed about $70 for this bottle and rated it a 95. Fantastic wine and so ready to be drunk. Just great from start to finish.

Still two months left so I could change my mind.

1990 Beaucastel, I rated it quattro bicchieri.

Equally scored at 96 pts:
2010 Myriad GIII
2008 Saxum Bone Rock
2009 Sojourn Proprietors Cuvee
2009 Kosta Browne Somoma Coast

No French swill in the running!
Equally scored at 96 pts:
2010 Myriad GIII
2008 Saxum Bone Rock
2009 Sojourn Proprietors Cuvee
2009 Kosta Browne Somoma Coast

Wines from Etna really were eye-opening. Passopisciaro is just doing great things.

too close of a call…'98 L’Eglise Clinet or '90 Latour.

'96 Latour
'03 Guigal La Mouline
'01 Abreu Thorevilos
'08 Marcassin Marcassin Chard.
'94 Shafer Hillside Select
'04 El Contador
'07 Pegau Capo

Best,

Kenney

There is still a chance that something may blow me away in November or December but it I had to choose right now they would be:

1989 Chateau Mussar
2010 Tenute San Guido Sassacaia
Argyros 20 Year Old Vinsanto

There is still a chance that something may blow me away in November or December but it I had to choose right now they would be:

• 1989 Chateau Mussar
  • 2010 Tenute San Guido Sassacaia
  • Argyros 20 Year Old Vinsanto

Upon second consideration I must also add:

• 2008 Ca’Rugate “La Perla” Recioto di Soave
  • 2009 Chateau Climens
  • 2009 Domaine Ernest Burn Alsace Grand Cru Goldert Clos St. Imer “La Chapelle” Pinot Gris
  • Inniskillin 2012 Vidal icewine
  • Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Port
  • 2008 Gunderloch Riesling Beerenauslese
  • 2011 Konrad Noble Two Botrytis Affected Riesling/Sauvignon Blanc

1998 Fonsalette Syrah Cuvee. Amazing bottle! Still haunts me and sadly a singleton.

I have a lot of trouble comparing different bottles to each other over the course of a year, but most memorable was probably 1999 Ridge Lytton Estate Grenache, brought to an HVS dinner by David Gates.

1992 Ridge Geyserville was my favorite, but the 1973 Chateau Climens for my 40th birthday was the most memorable.