Post your WOTYs-- 2015 Edition--TABULATION COMPLETE Post 1

Thanks everyone for adding to the thread, and many thanks David, for reposting Craig’s thread which I put in the opening post, definitely want people to be checking that thread out as well.

Keep 'em coming.

Mike

Wine of the Year:

1995 Chateau Musar
Startlingly good. This wine reaches out, grabs you by the shoulders, looks deeply into your eyes, and says something true about the future. Open this 8 hours before you intend to drink it, and let it stand without decanting (Audouze method). It may taste thin at first, or even limp and oxidized. Be brave. It will emerge. 100 points

As for discoveries, this was a big year for me. I was studying for wine exams, so I tried a lot of unfamiliar styles. Here were the stand-outs:

Xarel-lo with Meursault treatment (Enric Soler ‘Improvisacio’ Xarel-lo 2013 - Like a Meursault with pyrazines)

Postmodern Assyrtiko (Gaia Wild Ferment 2014 - Sunshine and lemon cream in a bottle).

Chenin with Puligny Treatment (Ch. de Breze Saumur Blanc ‘Clos de la Rue’ 2012)

Electric Alsace Riesling (Zind-Humbrecht - ’10 Clos Windsbuhl, ’10 Heimbourg, ’13 Clos St. Urbain)

Herbaceous, tensile Syrah (Arnot-Roberts Que Syrah Syrah 2013)

Aged Hunter Semillon (Tyrol’s Vat 1, 2005)

Svelte Aussie Chard (Voyager Estate 2010)

Powerful Gruners (Smaragds from Knoll, Alzinger)

Earthy, balanced CA Cab (Kathryn Kennedy, Corison, Di Constanzo)

Complex, heady Priorat (A. Palacios Finca Dofi 2004)

My favorite wines of the year:

• 2011 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage Nacional - Portugal, Douro, Porto (4/26/2015)
    Tasted by the glass at Mandolin - wonderful bouquet, mint, black fruit, touch of sweetness. Elegant, balanced, with an ethereal beauty to it. Laser focused, yet not a 2X4 to the head in an obvious way. Less tannic than I thought it would be, but I’m guessing that’s due to probably being open for a while. Iron fist, velvet glove. Slightly closed down at the moment. Give it 20 years before you dig in. However all the stuffing is there. The finish goes on for minutes, it’s incredible. Hauntingly beautiful. The DRC of port in the sense that no single thing may the flashiest, but so well rounded.

Worth the price of admission? For a glass, sure, it was fantastic. For a $700 bottle? That’s a tough sell. I’ll give you two reasons why:

1. Last bottle of 1994 Fonseca I had was just as good IMHO.
  2. $700 can buy you first growth Bordeaux, two very high end bottles of Cali cab, a 3 pack of Sine Qua Non… (100 pts.)

• 2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (8/7/2015)
    Perfect. Unreal. Nose is extremely aromatic full of spice and cigar box. Palate is blackberry/raspberry liquor. Fruit is intense, but not over the top. Classic Saxum but more restrained than in some vintages. Grenache is gorgeous and in my wheelhouse. Velvet fist, iron glove. No hard corners whatsoever. Two minute finish. A new favorite Saxum. Could be done differently but not better IMHO. (100 pts.)
  • 2007 Sine Qua Non Grenache Pictures - USA, California (8/7/2015)
    Wonderful. Quite reticent and reserved at first. Really took a long time to open up and show its stuff. Dark raspberry and blue fruit. Well balanced. Graphite and a meatiness on the palate. Love it. Not as large of a presence as other SQN. Closer to the '05 Atlantis from my memory. So well balanced. A burgundy lovers Cali Rhone. Nose is unreal. Perfect. Still tannic has years to go. (100 pts.)
  • 2001 Cayuse Syrah Cailloux Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (10/3/2015)
    From magnum, #4 of 16 made! Still tannic. Young. Vibrant. Years ahead of it. Red raspberry, forest floor, mushrooms, Cayuse funk in a good way. Blackberries, earthy, currant. Just unreal. Another level. Probably not 100 pointer for most people, but this is right in my wheelhouse. Consumed @ Bin 54 (100 pts.)

• 2002 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (11/20/2015)
    Oak, blueberry & raspberries, plum?, pepper. Palate coating with 60 second finish. Still somewhat tannic, but not over the top, well integrated. For my taste @ early peak. Best Aussie wine I’ve had. High viscosity. Cassis/blueberry, but not jammy. CRAZY depth. Will haunt my dreams. Aussie Shiraz can be done differently but not better. (100 pts.)
  • 2009 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (10/25/2015)
    Just stunning. Aromatically amazing, tobacco, chocolate city, vanilla from the oak. Still tannic, black raspberry, blueberry but not jammy. These wines have such an amazing purity of fruit. Cured meat, mid-palate is just killer. 60+ second finish, tad of green peppercorn. LOVE these wines. 99+ now, could be perfect when fully mature. (99 pts.)
  • 2011 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (5/24/2015)
    Peach, apricot, honey, and tropical fruit. Automatically to die for. Finish lasts for years. This would be a 100 pt. wine if it wasn’t for 2001 Yquem being even better. Flirting with perfection. (99 pts.)
  • 2012 Clos Erasmus Priorat - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (1/31/2015)
    searingly tannic and young. Great red fruit. Nice acid. Earth. Needs 10+ years in the cellar. Complex nose. Mind blowing. (99 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (4/13/2015)
    Beef blood, meaty, gamey, nose to die for. Young but smooth. Tannin is there, but not overwhelming after 1 hour + decant. Just on another level, lasts forever. Iron fist, velvet glove. (99 pts.)
  • 2007 Marcassin Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/5/2015)
    Love it. Wonderful wine. Nutmeg, citrus/orange, light butter, great zesty acid. Goes on forever. Chard at its best. (98 pts.)
  • 1907 D’Oliveiras Madeira Malvazia - Portugal, Madeira (12/11/2015)
    Bottled in 2013 – Smell is night and day different compared to the 1971. Surprisingly lively for 108 years old. More forest floor, autumn leaves, walnut, fig, maple syrup. More tertiary flavors and aromas than caramel/orange/plum you find in young Madeira. Brown in color with a decent amount of sediment. Still really enjoyable, liked it better than the last 1952 I had, an intellectual curiosity in terms of having a wine this old.

As with older bottles, it’s interesting to think what was going on in the world at the time. 1907 – The first air force was established, 1st Taxis in NYC, Plaza Hotel opens, Oklahoma becomes the 46th state. Katharine Hepburn and John Wayne born. The first powered flight had taken place just 4 years beforehand. The Ford Model T was still a year away. Amazing! (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

And purely for entertainment purposes, my LEAST favorite wine of the year:

• NV Cappellano Barolo Chinato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo Chinato (10/25/2015)
    HATED IT. Not fit for human consumption. Tastes like Quinine mixed with gin botanicals. I know you’re supposed to stay open minded, but there is no excuse for this unmitigated sludge. One of the worst things I’ve ever consumed, once you drink it you’re worried you’ve been poisoned…

All joking aside, this is just clearly not my style.
I’m sure if this is your thing, it is probably a respectable wine. (50 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Check WineSearcher - it’s WAY more than $700 a bottle now! [swoon.gif] [shock.gif]

My most memorable wines this year were both Sauternes

2001 Suduiraut
1986 Lafaurie Peyraguey (magnum)

There was a brilliant 82 Ducru Beaucaillou along the way too, but I’d go with the Suduiraut for WOTY

2012 Riverain cab
2013 Realm Bard
2013 Rivers Marie cab

All got 95 from me this year.

Here’s my criteria: wines that, upon consumption, caused me to near-immediately seek out more to purchase. That’s a way to capture wines up and down the spectrum. With that in mind, here are my WOTY:

2001/2012 Roulot Perrieres (thanks to an unreal dinner set up by CFu)
2011/2012 Benetiere Cote Rotie Cordeloux
1998 Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Beze

Discovery of the year: Dirty & Rowdy

2001 Suduiraut
1970 Leoville Las Cases
2004 Von Kesselstatt Kaesler Nies’chen Riesling Spatlese
2010 Rhys Alpine Chardonnay
1954 Henriques and Henriques Bual Madeira
2002 St. Innocent Seven Springs PN
2005 St. Innocent Seven Springs PN
1988 Mouton Rothschild
2012 Walter Scott Vojtilla Chardonnay
2008 Rhys Horseshoe Syrah
Sparkler: 1995 Charles Heidsieck Diamant Bleu

Biggest surprise: 2005 Jouget Les Petites Roches

Discovery: Loire Cheverny

Discovery of the year! Convenience meets elegance
tumblr_lnvcupZs0n1qea6rto1_1280.jpg

WOTY: 1997 Monfortino
Discovery: 2005 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly Domaine de la Voute des Crozes

Cheers,
Doug

I think it was 2011 Merry Edwards Olivet Lane Chardonnay. Tasted at the winery one morning and then again at Hog Island Oysters in a 40 knot breeze.

[quote=“Rajiv Ayyangar”]Wine of the Year:

1995 Chateau Musar
Startlingly good. This wine reaches out, grabs you by the shoulders, looks deeply into your eyes, and says something true about the future. Open this 8 hours before you intend to drink it, and let it stand without decanting (Audouze method). It may taste thin at first, or even limp and oxidized. Be brave. It will emerge. 100 points

I love seeing this. While Musar doesn’t rock me like it does some - and I have had the 1995 before - I like how a truly distinctive wine can leave such an impression on someone, as opposed to a more typical, objectively great wine. I’m the same way, the wines I have scored the highest this year have been wines that some on this board would say, bleh. My favorite wine so far this year was a 2009 Marcel Juge Cornas. Thinking about it this past week prompted me to pull a 2010 from storage yesterday. Both rather young for a Cornas, but these are more elegant, medium-weight syrahs. I have had a couple of Bern’s trips with wines that would place in my top five as well.

WOTY-I only grade wines that come from my own cellar. Drank a lot of big Italian wines this year,e.g., Super Tuscans, Barolos, etc. However, tied for first is an 01 Quintarelli Valpolicella Classico Superiore. Beautiful, light, complex and balanced. Far superior to the big reds I tried. Tied with this was a 77 Chateau Musar that resided in my cellar for 30+ years. Soft, fragrant, balanced and delicious! Enjoyed by 6 wine buddies at our annual pig roast. Close 2nds were an 06 Togni Cab, an 05 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red, an 07 Phelps Insignia and an 07 Bousquet des Papes Chateauneuf, A la Gloire de mon Grand-Pere. Find of the year came from the first Jura that I have ever tried. Bought some several years ago, but thought it might match well with Spanish meal at Despana in Princeton, NJ. An 06 P. Bornard Arbois Pupillin Melon Le Rouge-queue. Started out as steel and minerals, but evolved to add a touch of sweetness (pineapple) and spice. Great with Iberico ham plate, a variety of tapas and paella.

Discovery of the year: Alvaro Palacios l’Ermita. Only problem is I also discovered I can’t afford them at today prices :wink:!

White Burg:

• Sauzet Montrachet 2000
  • Coche Dury Mearsault Perrieres 2011
  • Coche Dury Mearsault Rougeots 2008
  • Henri Boillot Montrachet 2009
  • Carillon BBM 2009

Red Burg:

• Hudelot Noellat RSV 2002
  • DRC Richebourg 2006
  • Drouhin Musigny 1990
  • Fourrier Griotte Chambertin 2007
  • Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze 2007

Rest of the world:

• Monfortino 1995
  • Monfortino 1985
  • Chave Hermitage 1996
  • Jamet Cote Rotie 1999
  • Alvaro Palacios l’Ermita 1998

I totally agree! A friend of mine says (and I’ll second this) that objective quality can get you to 95 points. Anything higher has to be about your personal preference, who you shared it with, and other aspects of the experience.

Wine of the Year: 1980 Chateau Musar…hands down the most epic (single-vintage) Musar experience I’ve had to-date. Earlier this year tasting a 17 vintage vertical of the Rouge tops my wine experiences this year…but opening and sharing this wine with one of my closest friends has to be at the top of my experiences in wine this year. Like Rajiv says…half of what makes the memory is who you’re with and the context of the setting.

Discovery of the year: I like (still) Chardonnay more than I realized.

This is the first year that I have really been into wine. As such, I had many discoveries and have constantly been learning. I dont really like scoring wines, so my favorites aren’t based on CT scores or anything like that. They are simply the wines that impressed me the most, usually evoking expletives or staying in my thoughts for days after consuming them.

Discoveries-
Enfield, Cabernet Sauvignon, Fort Ross-Seaview, 2012
Rein, Greenwood Ridge Riesling, Anderson Valley, 2013
Lichen, Blanc de Gris, Anderson Valley, 2012
Muscadet is awesome QPR
Champagne(see below)

Surprises-
Fetzer, Lolonis Zinfandel, Mendocino, 1979
Navarro, Late Harvest White Riesling, Anderson Valley 1998

QPR-
Stephan Ehlen, Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Spatlese, 2013
Chateau du Donjon, Grande Tradition, Minervois, 2012
Famiele Meyer, Zweigelt Landwein, 2011
Muscadet

Top 10ish-
Salinia, Saint Marigold Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast, 2010
Lagier Meredith, Syrah, Mount Veeder, 2002
Emidio Pepe, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, 2003
Porter Creek, Old Vine George’s Hill Chardonnay, Russian River, 2012
Domaine Lucci, Noir de Florette, Adelaide Hills, 2014
Telmo Rodriguez, As Caborcas, Valdeorras, 2012
Wind Gap, Majik Syrah, Sonoma Coast, 2013
Mas d’en Blei, Clos Martina, Priorat, 2012
Ridge, Monte Bello, 1992
Domaine de Jushepie, Les Monts, Anjou Blanc, 2011

Champagne(one of my discoveries was that Champagne is amazing)-
Alexandre Filaine, Cuvee Confidence Brut, NV
Billecart-Salmon, Cuvee Nicolas Francois Billecart Brut, 1999
Salon, Blanc de Blanc Brut, 2002
Pierre Gimonnet & Fils, Cuvee Oenophile Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut, 2005 and 2008
Fleury Pere & Fils, Sonate No.9 Extra Brut, 2010
Larmandier-Bernier, les Chemins d’Avize Blanc de Blanc Extra Brut Grand Cru, 2009
Marc Hebrart, Special Club 1er Cru Brut, 2010

These were the best from my cellar. There were some other amazing wines from dinners, winery visits and restaurants.

2007 Venge Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Family Reserve
2009 Venge Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Bone Ash Vineyard
2010 Domaine Roger Belland Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Clos Pitois Rouge
2006 Novy Family Wines Syrah Garys’ Vineyard
2012 Jean Baptiste Ponsot Rully 1er Cru Molesme
2013 White Rose Estate Pinot Noir Guillen Vineyard
2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard
2009 Zepaltas Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2008 Novy Family Wines Syrah Susan’s Hill Vineyard
2010 Matello Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard Ribbon Ridge

My discoveries of the year are:

The beauty of old white burgs.
Vincent makes a damn good Chardonnay
I’m really enjoying my visits to Portland and the Willamette Valley, so much so I’m likely to eventually retire there.

I had this years ago and can see it working well with Spanish cuisine. Is this the same Despana that is in NYC (Soho, and Queens (store))?

Nothing really stood out too well for me this year, and it was not from lack of good wines, perhaps more from where I am in my life and wine knowledge. I would say the most recent discovery was a xinomavro from Kir-Yianni that came across as a unique wine.