Possibly the best $13 bottle

Aaaaannndd… i cant find it near me. Anyone in the southlake/colleyville area of DFW sell it? I may just have to order it.

[rofl.gif]

As the the wine itself, I was surprised by liking the 2014. I saw Jeb’s score and despite liking him I kind of eye-rolled the 93, but the wine was really quite solid and I didn’t find it over-the-top for my mostly old world palate. Didn’t try the 15, though.

The 14 made me think of the kind of wine I could serve to a wide variety of people and still indulge my old world preferences.

Anton D wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:02 am
Only 210 dollars at French Laundry.

As the the wine itself, I was surprised by liking the 2014. I saw Jeb’s score and despite liking him I kind of eye-rolled the 93, but the wine was really quite solid and I didn’t find it over-the-top for my mostly old world palate. Didn’t try the 15, though.

The 14 made me think of the kind of wine I could serve to a wide variety of people and still indulge my old world preferences.

$210. What is the cheapest wine there? 93 points is excessive for this wine in any vintage.

A favorite around here. Bright, cheery and interesting. Can’t beat the price. The '14 was very good, the '15 even better, (got it a few months ago) the '16 needs a little air but is perhaps yet better, with a bright future. TNs on CT if you’re interested.

You apparently are not acquainted with Mr. Dunnuck.

John Glas wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:21 pm
Anton D wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:02 am
Only 210 dollars at French Laundry.

$210. What is the cheapest wine there? 93 points is excessive for this wine in any vintage.
You apparently are not acquainted with Mr. Dunnuck.

Yes I am. The Prisoner also gets 95 points from critics along with the Big Easy. Doesn’t mean it is a good wine.

Stephen if Jeb gave it 93 James Suckling I bet gave it 95.

Drinking a glass of the ‘16 as I write.
PnP…
Very dark, opaque purple in color.
Deep, satisfying aromas black fruits, a tinge of citrus, and a gentle touch of spice.
Out of the gate, this is rich, full-bodied, but NOT jammy…some structure of light, grippy tannins, AND some sing-songy, bouncy acidity which keeps things bright and lip-smacking in a surprisingly, medium-long finish. And thank God, nothing overly-oaky or tasting ‘manufactured’. While able to last, I imagine, 3-5 years, this is a wine for the here and now.
At any price range, easily 91-92 points…
$13…Get outta’ here!

If you are having dinner party of non-wine geeks or a garden party, this wine is a no-brainer. It is a make people happy wine. You become a wine hero.

Popped a bottle at a dinner party last night. I can’t recall a better bottle for $13. As mentioned before in a previous reply, it doesn’t taste “manufactured” which often is the case with $10-$18 bottles of wine. I purchased another 6 bottles for $85. Someone brought a $70 bottle of single vineyard Syrah from Santa Lucia Highlands and it surprisingly hung with it-especially considering it’s 1/5 the price.

Enjoyed a 2016 last evening. A mini SQN? Hardly. A mini Lillian? Maybe.

Nice - I bought two bottles earlier this year. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but given this thread I am looking forward to my $13 bottles :slight_smile:

That is what I will do with my last bottle, and I look forward to the result. Thanks for the suggestion. For myself, I find it to be very much a party wine, fruit-forward and the fruit is uninteresting, flabby, lacking acid, overly sweet. I can drink it, I can, but I prefer not to. I don’t regret buying, and would not buy again. I do feel, as you suggested, this might be kind of a crowd-pleaser among non-wine people. My opinion is based off a 2014 that I drank in 2016 and again tonight.

back up the truck

That is what I will do with my last bottle, and I look forward to the result. Thanks for the suggestion. For myself, I find it to be very much a party wine, fruit-forward and the fruit is uninteresting, flabby, lacking acid, overly sweet. I can drink it, I can, but I prefer not to. I don’t regret buying, and would not buy again. I do feel, as you suggested, this might be kind of a crowd-pleaser among non-wine people. My opinion is based off a 2014 that I drank in 2016 and again tonight.

So Joe you are not going 93 points that Jeb gave this wine. I agree with your assessment this is a simple fruit forward wine that is not that interesting.

back up the truck

Try it before you buy it. These wines are not for my palate as they are fruit forward and offer little complexity.

The definition of an every day drinker, pleasant and delicious but not compelling.

I’ll echo prior comments, back up the truck.

The 16 is dangerously easy to drink, utterly smooth, and has nice fruit and finish. Beautiful wine. After the first sip I ordered 3 more cases.

Opened my bottle today. Slow-ox for 3 hours. Not for me. Flabby, no complexity, not much on the nose and felt almost as if I was drinking wine mixed with bit of water. Very boring wine. Definitely not the best $13 wine.
Definitely not a 94 point. I gave it a 83.
Maybe it’s bottle variation.

You don’t need to slow ox that wine, it’s good to go on pop and pour. That’s probably why it didn’t show well. It’s not meant for aging.