Portland (PDX) - June 2, 2022

Also still in.

I looked at PDX restaurants Arden (I like best, I think), Campana (claiming East Coast sensibility, ie “familiar”, and maybe a tad clunky), Frank Wine Bar (limited small plate menu?), Canard (looks good), and sister restaurant Le Pigeon (same). These impressions are based on web research, so still deferring to empirical input. Also, Serratto looks like an excellent possibility (to me). (This parenthetic sentence is just for good measure.)

you can change me to (c) - confirmed

With 7 confirmed, we have critical mass. Perhaps some of the others will chime in at some point. I agree with David that Arden and Serratto look intriguing. I’m less keen on Frank. Canard remains of interest too.

Keith, I’m fine with you taking the lead on this in consultation with David, perhaps. Thanks.

Sounds good! I’ll reach out to Arden and we’ll see what happens

Frank only would happen with a special menu and them closing it. We wouldn’t be ordering from their normal menu fyi

2 Likes

Thanks, Keith, for helping to make it go.

We are confirmed for Arden at 7pm on the 2nd.

Some quick fine print:

Everyone will eat from the same 4-course menu and I will need to know about dietary restrictions/allergies sooner rather than later. It should be $65 a head before tax and tip for 10 people.

Past that, we’re good! I can ask them about specific stemware if that’s absolutely necessary, but from my experience, their stemware is excellent.

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks Keith, strong work; very much appreciated. It feels like Forrest Gump when he became a millionaire–“That’s one less thing to think about”. Jill and I are very much looking forward to meeting you and others, and to learn about Arden as a resource for the future. RE: dietary needs–Jill does not eat mammals, and would appreciate substitution of fin or feather for any meat course. I eat everything (in sight). RE: stems–I trust your judgment on quality. It may be nice to have (2) glasses per place for comparative tasting, if possible.
Thanks so much,
David
(Also, what will be the policy for BYOB and corkage?)

1 Like

Yes, thanks, Keith!

I’m all on board for fish and birdies. I’m assuming that by “the same 4-course menu”, they want us all to have the same 4 courses. I’ve got no problem with that, but just wanted to make sure there’s no surprises.

Thank you Keith! No dietary restrictions here, open to anything!

What are we thinking in terms of wine? Any sort of theme?

My possibles: 2001 Pichon Lalande, 2012 Roland Champion Special Club Bl de Bl, 2004 Perrot-Minot Les Beaux Monts. But still planning, and will await menu for final decisions. Not a theme so much as general quality suggestion. My personal cellar has solid good mid-range stuff, limited prestige wines.

I’m thinking:

1989 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese ***
2009 Gonon Saint Joseph

Maybe one other TBD

I have to drop out. Heading out of town that night.

Enjoy Arden.

I’m leaning toward a white and an older red, likely burg or Oregon pinot – a lighter red to go with fowl. I’ll wait to make a final decision until we know the final menu – hopefully we’ll have that a day or two beforehand.

I’ve also got a couple of aged Etna Rosso, which is uncharted territory for me.

Hi, I’d like to be included if possible. I’m still fairly new in my wine journey but would love the opportunity to learn and meet some Berserkers.

1 Like

I’m Going to reach out to them this week before I travel for the next 12 days. But, for those that haven’t been, it’s generally a lighter and veg-forward menu. I don’t think what we’ll eat will be far off (and I’ll definitely relay the fin and fowl part).

I’ll likely do a lighter red and likely champagne. I’ll figure out the specifics when I back in town.

1 Like

Happy to include you Dave.

2 Likes

Thanks Keith. To be clear, it isn’t necessary to exclude meats from 4-legged critters unless Arden can’t sub proteins for Jill, and anyone else who might prefer.

1 Like

Hi Greg, I’m sorry, I didn’t notice the thread getting updated.

Unfortunately my plans recently changed and I will be out of town June 2.

I hope y’all have a great meal. I’m jealous, and really wish I could be there.

1 Like

Just realized I haven’t mentioned that I’ll have to bow out if everyone isn’t vaccinated. Could the attendees please confirm? I’ve 2 base shots and a booster.

If there’s an extra space and the current upward case trend doesn’t spike upward, Melissa might join me.

1 Like