Porchetta Pairing?

What would you serve? Sangiovese or Riesling seem like obvious choices but I figured I’d get some other ideas.

A pinot should also work, I think – either a lighter (not too tannic) Burgundy or a fruitier New World one.

If you can’t bring yourself to do like they would in Bologna and pour some quality Lambrusco, maybe a nice dark, spicy and dry Garnacha based Cava Rosado?

I cooked one at home as a roast a couple years ago and made sandwiches with crusty bread, arugula and great olive oil. An Isole e Olena 2004 Cepparello was awesome with it.

OTOH, I’ve had porchetta sandwiches that were served cold with more assertive toppings like pickles and mustard. I don’t think a sangio would do well with that and you’d be better off with one of the suggestions above.

Aglianico, Greco di Tufo, and various forms of grenache.

So we did a porchetta (lots of herbs and spices but fennel pollen was the star) as described above New Year’s Eve with a 2006 Castello di Ama CC. Not a pairing that was greater than the sum of its parts. The CC’s tannins seemed to get in the way which is odd since plenty of pork fat was there to balance that out and let the fruit shine through.

Tonight we had the same with a 2005 Nusserhof Lagrein Riserva. The tannins played nicely with the pork fat and there was wonderful slightly tart blackberry fruit and notes I usually associate with a Northern Rhone syrah; bacon and a little animale. This was a much better pairing.

Where did you get some Nusserhof? That guy barely makes enough wine to sell locally! Laughed at us at one VinItaly when we wanted to by several pallets.

Got it from The Wine Club in Santa Clara 3 years ago. The importer label says LDM Wines, Inc. of NY, NY.

Can’t say I’ve had much Lagrein and even less that I’ve enjoyed enough to buy but this is one of them.

The other was the Muri-Gries 2007 Lagrein Riserva Abtei Muri I tasted at the Tre Bicchieri event in SF Feb of 2011. Really gorgeous juice. I bought a bottle of the 2005 to try since it just showed up locally. I guess that means the 2007 won’t be here for another couple years… but I’m ready for it when it arrives! [cheers.gif]

I tried a bottle of Muri-Gries’ 2008 non-reserve Lagrein last year. Not even close to the 2007 Riserva experience. I’m guessing the grape needs a great vintage and careful winemaking to really shine.

Either that or they make lovely rosé out of it: Lagrein Kretzer.

Occhipinti Il Frappato

Pretty versatile food in my experience. I’ll add a Zinfandel to the list.

Just tried and American and Alsatian Gewürztraminer with porchetta. They worked, but not as well as I would had hoped. The nose just overpowered and distracted from the taste of the pork. I think the crux of this pairing is in the rub.

Burgundy works bigtime. Had amazing porchetta at Cotogna in SF and got a nice burgundy off the list from Quince next door.
image.jpg

Fred-- that looks really yummy! It looks like there is a buttery reduction there. With that, i bet just about any red would be fantastic.

I was imagining a simpler porchetta without a rich sauce. For a simpler dish I think the pairing options would be a bit narrower.

(I remember some wonderful meals at Quince at the original location! Haven’t been since they moved and expanded.)

No butter. Just delicious pork jus.

I had St Cosme Cotes du Rhone with it and it was a fantastic pairing

My first choice would be a lean or medium-lean Italian red ---- many different ones could work. After that, Pinot Noir.

That sounds good. And I have a mag of that.

Now I need a great porchetta recipe. Has anyone made the fatted calf recipe that’s on their website. I just got their book and was disappointed that this recipe wasn’t in there. I know they’d already given it away, but c’mon! Maybe a whole chapter dedicated to the nuance.

And the one at Cotogna is really good, but I can’t start with the big wood fire. Need to begin with Weber kettle.

Thinking about this for thanksgiving, but should probably do a trial run first.

Lambrusco would be good, or Chianti Classico or straight Barbera d’Asti (unoaked). In my opinion you need some bright acidity or fine tannins to cut the fat.

It was the '07 vintage - a lighter CDR