Ponsot - Yellow Dot

Got this 2010 Clos de Vougeot today.
20160719_135357 (800x600).jpg
My first Yellow Dot.
It will turn orange, if exposed to heat…
Does anybody know the numbers ? What heat, and for how long ?

Btw. I think it’s a great idea (if it works). Any other producers doing this ?

Kind regards, Soren.

It doesn’t work. I left an empty bottle out in 30C heat for a week and it was still yellow.

From a thread five years ago:

A friend of mine received a bottle a couple of years back where the dot had changed during shipping. So, not a total sham but clearly quite unreliable.

-Al

He, Ponsot, had an older version, colored white, that didn’t work at all.
And now the “new invented” Yellow…

Thanks for clearing that party trick.

-Soren.

It’s a great idea, and I’ve seen similar things employed by other wineries - and by breweries.

If it works, it’s a great ‘signal’, but if it’s inconsistent, why bother at all :wink:

I used to boil off the labels for saving. The dot did change color when it was boiling. It changed back over time in my label book.

You can fix a damaged bottle, by repainting the dot.
A rubber mallet works for pounding down its protruded cork, too.

re the white one, I baked an empty Ponsot bottle w such a dot at 350 degrees for an hour and it remained white–didn’t change at all.

I am a little amazed/puzzled about Ponsot choosing these heat-alarms, -when they obviously doesn’t work, regarding wine safety.
It’s like they didn’t test them, before applying them.
And as Loren wrote, they can even change back to yellow, after a while.

We live in 2016, and can’t produce this little simple chemical gadget !
Inventors wake up. There is money to be made here ! (And change the dot to a star, or a logo, so it’s harder to re-paint if color has changed, and coat it with natural resin.)

Regards, Soren.

Put a piece of high quality chocolate in each case.
If it gets gray or is melted, the wine was cooked.
That simple…:wink:

I found this sticker. It’s not in the easiest form to fit on a wine label, but the technology is present.
For a wine, the 20C / 68F sticker, seems just right, -or the 25C / 77F maybe. Note the time of exposure is also included.

This company also makes temp. control labels for Medical use. (Blood temperature, during transport)
It must be a serious product, if they supply the medical industry. Sadly only 2 years shelf life… No good for long time storing.

It’s more complicated than I just thought.

-Soren.

Maybe something pops out after several hours of heat, like those “done” indicators on a Thanksgiving turkey.

I worked with a company for some time that tried to develop a tool like this. It´s not trivial. To say the least.

Victor,

I find that the corks pop up a bit when the wine is sufficiently cooked. Voila!

I, too, baked an empty magnum of Ponsot Mont Luisants Blanc that tasted awfully cooked to a group of us. Indeed, the dot didn’t change after over an hour in the 250F+ oven.

fred

Making that bottle a turkey!