Pommard

If you can find Aleth Girardin’s ier cru Pommards, they are outstanding and age very well.
Pontinet-Ampeau continues to release old wines from their cellars and both the Pezerolles’ and Volnays from the 50’s 60’s and 70’s often really surprise.

Did not see this excellent thread. Just posted on 2002 Jean-Marc Bouley Pommard Fremiers. It was good.

Cheers,
Doug

Very much agree! Love the wines, but they need age to blossom and become beautifully perfumed. I feel the same way about NSG, too. But once they shed that youthful brashness, they are such pretty wines.

Drank a wonderful '03 Comte Armand last night (not the full Epenots, but the young vine version). Was stellar especially given our expectations for an '03. Very good match for Chinese food, especially the Camphor smoked duck.

Since it was mentioned up thread, we also opened a couple of Cortons among the line-up.
Jadot Pougets from '96 & '06. '96 was iffy for a few of us thinking there was a touch of cork taint, but seemed to be in a wonderful place. '06 should be excellent in time

Agreed. Some discussion of it here: Pommard vs Volnay - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I hate to say it, but I’ve yet to have my Pommard epiphany, just as i’ve yet to fall head over heels with Corton. The occasional really good wines that i’ve had have all been quite old, and I suspect that part of the trouble is that I have few wines from the 80’s and before in my cellars. At least until recently, wines from both places seem to take forever to switch from being slightly boring to complex, engaging wines. I own a number from the 90’s on, but everything so far has been too young to really show, and I’ve had most of the usual suspects touted as the top producers. I’m sure that some of the wines I have will finally reach a nice plateau, and I believe that there are probably some newer quality producers, but it has just seemed like too much work and too low a yield to go chasing in these areas. (note also that I’m not just another Cote de Nuits snob–prob the majority of my red burg is from CdB)

1990 Hubert De Montille Rugiens is my reference standard for great aged Pommard. One bottle left. I have a 6 pack of Coursel 99 Rugiens that should be just about ready. Anybody tried that recently? To Robert Panzer’s point about Pommard/Beaune, under Etienne’s leadership at d’Montille, I had an 06 Beaune 1er, forgot which one, which if served blind could have just as easily been a Chambolle, it was so light, elegant, and red/pink fruited.

And this just happened at a recent Chevalier dinner where we did some wines blind: served a 96 Village D. Laurent Pommard Village out of a brown bag. Participant we will call Bruce, says he loves the wine and is oohing and aching. He guesses Vosne Romanee 1er. We pull the bag, he sees it is a Pommard, tells us he does not like Pommard and dumps the rest of his glass. I’m still dumbfounded.

Oh you must out this silly fellow!

I spend a week or two each year in Pommard and although Violot-Guillermard is amongst the finest mentioned in this thread the unsung hero for me is a tiny domain in Place de’leurope, Michel Rebourgeon and their Rugiens 2012 is a super duper

I have had some very good Pommards but as a general rule this is not my favorite Burgundy village. Certainly like Volnay a lot more. Also, like Colton a lot more.