POLL: What is your primary connection to wine? ITB or other?

I’m with Jim…and I am 81…not leaving it to anyone

Hospitality Director

• tasting room Mgr
  • wine club Mgr
  • shipping/receiving
  • network + community outreach

Production

• cleaned (everything)
  • barrel topping
  • brix measurements
  • forklift operator
  • manual punchdowns, and various winery tasks

Consultant

Voted “Other”

[cheers.gif] [winner.gif] [worship.gif]

Jim, you have me by about 5 years and many bottles, but I am close by and can give you a hand. champagne.gif

Marked distributor as it’s probably what I am known as, but in reality I consider myself a consumer with a cellar for consumption who reserves the right to sell off any or all to help balance styles in said cellar or fund new regions as the wine world continually changes as does your palate.

I’m an investor. 100% of our wine is invested in me, my wife, and my kids when they get older!
[snort.gif]

You’d be surprised. And I think a lot of people ITB still see their primary connection as drinkers, since that’s often what got them into the business in the first place. I have friends like Jon Leifer’s age who were ITB for years but who are planning to stick around to deplete what they’ve accumulated. [cheers.gif]

Yup. Awesome.

Party at Jim’s house!

Yeah. I’m wondering why the cutoff is 25%? If you are a consumer, practically 0% is sold or thought about as “investment”.

My primary connection to wine is that I like to drink it. That said, I consider myself ITB for a number of reasons. I sell wine in my Tap Room, I sometimes broker wine for friends, I occasionally collaborate with wineries on projects, and (most importantly) I sell a lot of beer to wineries, particularly during harvest. As far my personal cellar is concerned, I’m drinking it.

Drinker through and through. I’ve never bought a bottle with the intention to do anything other than eventually drink it.

TW

Interesting poll, while my answer is now the last option as some point in my life I’ve also been:

ITB: Supply chain buyer (distributor, wholesaler, or retail)
ITB: Consumer buyer (for restaurant, events, etc.)
ITB: Front of the house (Somm, service, etc.)

Need more options. Winery owner & Importer…

Reasonable, imo. After all, without the income gained through the ITB connection would there be any money that would allow them to be a consumer? In other words, if your ITB status is what brings in the money used to buy wine for personal consumption, then ITB is your “primary” connection to wine. At least, that’s how I see it.

There are a number of flaws with this logic. I can think of a number of cases where people are “in the business” from Todd’s perspective that don’t fit your narrative. What about the retiree who works part-time at a local winery for the fun of it? What about a winemaker like Vincent Fritzsche? I suspect most of his cellar was accumulated before he started making wine commercially. Frankly, I was a wine geek for 30 years before I opened my Brewery (and probably before you were born) and the Brewery certainly doesn’t pay for my wine habit, but I guess that doesn’t matter.

FLAWED POLL!!! Why is there no option for “Hereditary”?

Whoa whoa whoa … didn’t realize this was so serious. Also, I simply said “that’s how I see it” — don’t know how I can more clearly acknowledge that there are differing viewpoints. Please also reference my signature — it’s okay for there to be different opinions!

But, I’ll play along, because — after all — this is all in good fun, right? Riiiiiight?!? [wink.gif] grouphug

Re:

1. The part-time ITB retiree. If, without that part time job they could no longer afford to buy and consume wine, then I’d say their primary connection to wine is ITB. Formerly: consumer; Currently: ITB.
  2. re: Wine-maker. I’d cast my vote with primary connection being ITB. If you actually make a living making wine, then, yeah, I’m going to say your primary connection to wine is ITB. Please note: “primary” is not the same as “only.” [cheers.gif]
  3. I don’t understand how your personal story about your brewery (not winery) and your history of wine appreciation is relevant to the conversation, but … nice story, I guess? And maybe I’m misreading some 'tude into your “I guess that doesn’t matter comment,” but assuming that 'tude is there I, quite frankly, don’t understand where that’s coming from, and I certainly don’t understand the comment even if it was made without any attitude ---- after all, I did say if the ITB work is what gives you the money necessary for being a wine consumer then … In your case, the condition is not met, so you would not fall into the stated category.
  4. Not sure how my birthdate is relevant to this conversation.

[highfive.gif]

P.S.: A few weeks ago I bought a can of your collabo with Modern Times. I thought it was very good. [drinkers.gif]

Brian, primary very clearly refers to the characteristics imparted by the grapes/vineyard. Or have you not been paying attention to the other thread going on? neener

Previous investor in a winery, a bit more serious in a distillery .

Crap! … errr, shit! … errrr, brett!!! You got me! Totally busted. hitsfan