POLL: Influence on Decanter World Wine Awards

So it seems!

Anyone know how to find data on the influence of magazines?

I’ve tried looking through Google scholar but there doesn’t seem to be anything.

Some expensive market research has been done, and its results are expensive to access. I forget who conducted the studies and don’t have time to look right now. Their research was based on consumer questionnaires, so it’s not very direct and wouldn’t have the numbers you want, which I’m pretty sure have never been compiled in one place.

Decanter’s awards move a lot of wine in the UK and possibly China. I think there’s a bit of impact in the rest of Europe as well. They really don’t matter in the US. This is definitely the wrong place to gather such information anyway. You’d be better off emailing a bunch of producers who have scored highly in the publications you want to know about. They’d have some idea as to the impact. You won’t hear back from everyone you contact, but I’ve found that some producers are very nice and willing to share their experiences. Of course, impact depends on category, market presence, and many other factors beyond the score/award.