Poggio di Sotto

I am curious to hear thoughts on it if you do. It was one of my favorites of the 2016s on the first run through them and I generally prefer the more traditional side. I do however think it is harder and harder to view Brunello through the lens of traditional/ modern. It was expressive for its youth, but that was true about pretty much every 2016 I tried. It was very bright and needed about 6 hours of air.

Il Maronnetto I have had. That one is crazy good too. Thanks for all of your help and to Anders too for the specific information. Thanks also to all for your gracious replies.

Never been a fan of Uccelliera. It’s a bit too modern for me. Tasted the 16 in February, it’s on point for the vintage.

I did a crazy horizontal of 11 vintages of Canalicchio di Sopra Rosso di Montalcinos a couple months ago. That’s a great producer I don’t really have in my cellar.

2 Likes

Peter,
With the exception of Soldera the others are not overpriced compared to Barolo Red Label or Grand cru Burgundy.
Well made and singular expressions of Sangiovese.

I would say there are several aspects:

First, Soldera has/had roughly 20 years more experience. Case Basse is in the lower south-west part of Montalcino near Tavernelle, Poggio di Sotto is in the south-east around Castelnuovo dell’Abate. The vines at Case Basse are at least to some parts older than PdS. Soldera planted his vineyard in the early 70ies with cuttings from Caprili, he replaces with selection massale, doesn’t work the soil except around the vine (ceppo). PdS newly planted vines are a mix of clones, he works with composted dung as does Soldera but works the soil. However, the vineyard work of both is impeccable.

Soldera has an approach to winemaking which includes heavy pumpovers. Fermentation are in large wooden vats. Similar to some producers in Piemonte. He was friends with Beppe Rinaldi and I had the impression that they had similar views to winemaking. Despite a very natural approach with spontaneous fermentation and no additions apart from SO2 he always worked closely with science. I had the impression he has a very clear view of winemaking and makes no compromises. I never sensed the same level of commitment and knowledge with Palmucci. I would guess it is even less with the current ownership.

Regarding the wines I think Martin pointed out the character of the wines very well and I have nothing to add there. Except that it isn‘t easy to keep track with the classifications of Case Basse, Case Basse riserva, Intistieti, which can be different from year to year.

3 Likes

Are the recent vintages of Poggio di Sotto made any differently than older vintages? A few notes in this thread suggest they have become more modern? Separate question, any thoughts to the quality step up of the Riserva?