PLONYC ONE- Sojourn Cellars with Craig Haserot

Claret grown in the northern end of the Petaluma Gap in Rohnert Park?

Hum, I think that would be a first.

Well, it looks like a geography lesson here is a bit overdue.

The Sangiacomo Family farms over 1,650 acres in the Sonoma Coast and Carneros AVA’s and average temperatures very from site to site. The Sangiacomo vineyard that we produce the Sojourn Pinot noir from is on Roberts Road in the northern Petaluma Gap across the street from Gap’s Crown Vineyard. It is planted only to Pinot noir and Chardonnay grapes and is actually one of the coolest sites we make Pinot noir from. It ripens later than all the other Pinot noir vineyards we work with due to the cool climate, even later than more coastal sites in Occidental and Annapolis. No bdx varietals are grown there, nothing would close to ripen. Other producers that have historically made Sangiacomo vineyard-designate Pinot noirs from this vineyard are MacPhail and Tandem/La Folette.

With respect to the Sangiacomo family and them growing bdx varietals, I believe they have a few legacy contracts where they grow Merlot, otherwise they have no other planted bdx varietals. 65% of their holdings are planted to Chardonnay, less than 5% is Merlot.

The Roberts Road vineyard information is here -

http://www.sojourncellars.com/wines-vineyards/vineyards/sangiacomo

I had the 2012s today at the preview tasting in Del Mar. No Craig this year. But the wines were very special. Hard to choose amongst them, so I ordered some of each. I esp liked the Gaps Crown–it had that extra bit of complexity and depth for me.

Thanks, Craig. Great info indeed. I did not think that comment sounded correct even minus the snark.

I have always loved Pinots from Sangiacomo and have never thought them overripe. Good info…thanks!

On second thought, love me some 11% ABV ‘Claret’ all day long.

strawman strawman

Agreed. Did not realize this vineyard was that close to Gap’s.

Haven’t tasted the new crop of wines, but Craig has always been gracious and the wine delicious. My personal favorite has always been Rodgers Creek for its forest floor elements, but they’re all delectable.

I should have mentioned that they told us that Craig’s absence at the Del Mar tasting was due to him being at a charitable event in Florida. He was NOT snubbing us at all. (g)

As a data point, just opened a 2009 Wohlers yesterday. It was worlds away from my last taste some 2 years ago and absolutely delicious, really surprised me.

I had a 2011 SC Pinot yesterday that could not keep me from finishing the whole thing. I think I need help. Isn’t that the first step? :slight_smile: