Pliny the Yonger will be Bottled and Shipped in California

There’s always plenty of…

202A22F5-33C1-4407-9948-BBDDE94BDBA1.jpeg

I finished a work meeting and logged on a few minutes after 11 just to see if it was still available…obviously, that was waaaay too late. Alas.

If anyone has a btl and wants to get a vertical of Macdonald for a btl let me know.

I would have liked to have seen this in 6-packs v. 12’s. Would have spread everything around a little further, not sure if it would have matter though, a sell out that fast smells like bots.

Hopefully the world is a better less COVID-y place this time next year and I can just go to the brewery and get some like I did last year.

Update:

Really appreciate the outpouring of generosity via PM gang!

I should clarify I was joking. I don’t have a vertical of Macdonald. If I did, I would totally trade it for a btl of west coast ipa. :heart_eyes:

The offer was for 12-packs of RRBC beers, but only four of those bottles were Pliny the Younger. They spread it around even more than you suggested, and it still sold out instantly.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Correct - I was looking for them to halve it again (2 btls of 6), as everyone on Earth knew this was going to vaporize. That said, I have worried about them (huge beautiful new facility open right before COVID, retail accounts shuttered, etc) and stoked they had a super successful release.

Ah, got it. Yeah, I’m happy for them too, but it would have been nice to have the bottles spread around a little more broadly. Still, that would be twice the shipping work for the same profit, so I can’t really blame them too much.

Fun stat from yesterday’s release. At 11am there were 110,000 people on the RRBC website trying to order 8,000 cases of beer.

I was in the check out queue at 11:01 and got the sold out notice. These went in 30 seconds.

Seeing first bottle hitting resale at $130.

Did anyone actually get any?

Good gosh. That’s ridiculous, but I guess if someone wants to pay that … [shrug.gif]

Pliny the Younger is great — it really is — but having to play FOMO games to get it is stupid, imo. I know I know, everyone’s shocked to hear me say this. rolleyes

Horse Brass Pub in Portland has a dedicated tap for Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig (they alternate). When they get a keg of Pliny the Younger, they just put it in the rotation. If you happen to be there, you can get it. I guess I didn’t realize that this was such a thing…

Fallingrock bar in Denver usually gets around 5 kegs of PtY every year and has 5 ticketed events to distribute the beers $10 a glass. Five years ago I went to one of the releases and all were selling out 2 hours prior to the beer being released. Last year I went back and no line, or sellout. tasty beer but plenty of folks making tasty beer now… they also usually have both PtE and BP on tap but not listed on the beer board.

Slight correction William. Most on premise accounts are closed so very little beer is being kegged but almost all off premise accounts are open and RRBC is pumping the beer into retail accounts that previously shut out and opening up new markets. My sisters family lives in Santa Cruz and that market was opened up shortly after the completion of the Windsor brewery. Now RRBC beers are easy for them to find. They do have a huge debt to payoff on the new brewery (reportedly 20M over budget). Of course they can always brew more but that would mess with their scarcity marketing.

FWIW I missed out this year too. In my cart and at 11:05 it was removed.

Still… can’t beat it on Tap.

Several places in Livermore had it when it was released a few weeks back. Didn’t even sell out over the weekend. I was a little surprised.

Along these lines, I remember lining up for this (and missing out) not that many years ago… and a couple weeks ago at my local burger and beer bar, a couple of friends and I were shocked to see it on tap and cleaned it out. Better than I remember Elder being in terms of balance, definitely a bit sticky, but would love to re-try both side by side.

1 Like

My daughter’s craft beer bar (in Dublin) sold out in 4 hours. I remember how pleased she was when they first were able to get it from RRBC when another place closed. Sounds like it’s too easy now.