Please help me pick two bottles from my collection

I actually like this idea too. Maybe have a line-up of your top 4 whites & top 4 reds, share a little about each wine and why you were considering it to pair with the meal. I have found that even when you think you know what someone will like, there is always a chance for a shift. If I were going to narrow it down to four. Each with two aged & 2 young whites & 3 aged & 1 young red. This will allow your friend to make a call based out of curiosity and what you share with them. If I were to do this, I would probably select these to make a choice from.

Whites
Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile 375th Anniversary 2001
Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne 1990 : When else is your friend likely to get a chance to drink a well-aged White Burgundy? If I were your friend this would be what I would choose if you let me pick one.
Ygrec (Y de Chateau d’Yquem) 2015 : I think this could be the surprise of the evening, I love these wines and while they are not typically in my wheelhouse for style, they are special and deserve attention.
Aubert Chardonnay Larry Hyde & Sons 2017: While very different from the CC, these wines also have a high “wow” factor from my experience.

Reds
Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 1977
CVNE Vina Real Gran Reserva 1981
Léoville Barton 1996
Raen Pinot Noir, Freestone Occidental, Bodega, Sonoma Coast, 2016

What an admirably diverse and eclectic collection of interesting wines. I wish you were running the wine program at my favorite restaurant or a local shop here.

1 Like

I think of the LdH Tondonia as a “shape shifting” wine in that it presents dramatically different tasting experiences depending on the pairing, bottle, and mood.

If serving it in this context, I would serve it before food and encourage tasting intermittently throughout and after the meal, while other wines are served as pairings.

Assuming that your guest is game to play along, you may find that their understanding and opinion of the wine changes dramatically throughout the evening.

This is how I serve it under normal circumstances, but it’s particularly apt for the new taster.

Why, thank you very much!

Didn’t even want to mention that one since that’d be another candidate for a Mike-visit-opening…

In all seriousness, so glad you are getting such a positive response to this thread, Noah. Please do report on your thoughts–and if they are willing, your guest’s—on the wines you do finally choose.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone- the dinner happened and it was a great success! I decided to go with the 1990 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne and 1977 Mondavi Cab Reserve. Initially, I thought the Mondavi was a little over the hill, so after a discussion of the Mondavi family, I decided spur of the moment to open the 2016 Raen Bodega Pinot Noir. Well, after a bit of air, the 77 Mondavi really opened up and so we were left with three open bottles (and a reasonable amount of leftovers)! We topped the night off with 2001 Suduiraut. Tasting notes below;

1990 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne: Absolutely the star of the night. The wine was in amazing shape without a hint of browning. The flavors were so juicy, full, complex. Wonderful intense yellow apple, preserved lemons, a bit of the nuttiness that you’d expect from a 31 yr old white. The acidity was present, but not aggressive- very round and soft. A bit of creaminess that is quite pleasant. This wine is drinking so so well right now. I think it’s at the perfect place though easily could last another 10 years (at least this particular bottle). Long long finish. Used a wide decanter to increase air exposure as CT suggested, which was a good move.

1977 Robert Mondavi Cab Reserve: Initially pretty funky smelling of mud and dirty leather. The first sip out of the bottle was ok, not very inspiring, it was certainly drinkable but seemed tired. I double decanted, did another taste and it was about the same. Set aside and opened the Raen. Came back an hour later and the wine had transformed. The fruits freshened up and tasted like a red/black fruit salad with raspberries, blackberries, currants, dark cherries. The earthiness transformed from smelly mud to fresh damp earth. But the most intriguing aspect was the development of a powerful aroma of old books. It really was like walking into an old dusty library, or used book shop, in a really lovely way. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever had, honestly. The intensity of the wine was medium and the body quite light. I’m always a little surprised by how delicately flavored these old Napa Cabs can be. The finish was pretty short unfortunately.

2016 Raen Bodega Pinot Noir- Very young and fresh. Fruit forward but restrained. The extract here is light. The fruits are raspberry and cranberry. Very little earthiness though, which is a characteristic I look for in my favorite Pinots. This wine was not thought provoking in the way the other two were, but was simply straight up tasty. I bet this wine will age very well and develop the complexity that it hasn’t quite achieved yet.

2001 Suduiraut- OMG this is intense- the most concentrated Sauternes I’ve ever had. Very sweet but with a good balancing acidity, this wine is viscous, unctuous, and extremely complex. There are flavors of citrus, pineapples, honey, assorted flowers, wax, and an interesting warm spice element like cinnamon. I couldn’t really have more than a small glass of this stuff given how intense it was; I feel like I should be drinking this in tiny sips like a Scotch.

Dinner was a high quality roasted chicken (basted in duck fat!), baby potatoes, carrots, celery. What a night! And my friend is eager for a repeat. Maybe I’ll bust out the LdH Blanco next time. Thanks again everyone!

Noah, how did your friend like the wines? Any revelations? Any differences of opinion between the two of you? Curious to hear…

Thanks for asking. He loved them, actually! My favorite was the Latour Corton Charlemagne, but his was the 77 Mondavi. He drinks a fair amount of middle-of-the-road young Napa Cab, so he found the contrast between the Mondavi and that stuff striking. He was attracted by the earthiness and leathery qualities, and mentioned that while he enjoys Napa cab, he finds them fatiguing sometimes. I think a foray into aged Bordeaux is in order. And I’d like to see how he enjoys Riesling. Perhaps next time we could open that 2001 Trimbach CFE 375th anniversary and 1996 Léoville Barton.

I think I may have converted him into a wine geek for life. We’ll see.

1 Like

Power corrupts. And corruption empowers. Once I have corrupted you, you can be just like me. At least that’s what I tell people!

Just had the 2001 Sud myself and yes, it is intense, isn’t it? Glad you enjoyed and sounds like a marvelous evening.

Kwa Heri

Mike