Please help me love Chenin Blanc

I’ve never had or seen a Dagueneau Chenin. But some nice SB!

I’m loving CA chenin blanc and it seems to becoming more popular lately. Aperture makes a tasty one. I’ve also heard Sandlands offers a killer chenin blanc from Sierra Foothills, their release is coming up later this month and will likely be buying…

Great content here. I don’t drink a lot of Chenin personally. I like it a lot…there are just only so many hours in a day and I tend to gravitate first to other things. That being said Andre Foucault’s Domaine Collier Saumur Blanc is just phenomenal. After Huet that is the one I seek out the most.

1 Like

You know, until a few minutes ago, I would have bet you that Pur Sang was Chenin Blanc…I looked and it is not!

Embarrassment emoji: blush

[cheers.gif]

1 Like

Lot’s of good suggestions already, some of my recommendations (most mentioned already):

Sparkling

• Champalou Vouvray Brut

Saumur

• Guiberteau Brézé and Clos des Carmes

Vouvray

• Huet Le Mont Sec and Clos du Bourg Sec

Montlouis

• François Chidaine Les Bournais

Savennières

• Pierre Bise Clos Le Grand Beaupréau, had 2016 last Friday and it was very delicious, the 2016 Clos de la Hutte of Thibaud Baudignon served alongside was “the better wine”, however more for future drinking while the Pierre Bise was singing already

Off-dry

• Huet Demi-Sec and Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon (older vintages) come to mind

Sweet

• Huet Vin de Constance

And if not from France:

South-Africa

• Jean Daneel Signature and Directors Signature

USA

• Beau Rivage

I did a double take here, as Vin de Constance is the sweet wine made from Muscat by South Africa’s Klein Constancia in Constancia Valley - I think you are referring to Huet’s Cuvee Constance.

Talking of South Africa - as it has as many plantings of Chenin as the rest of the world put together, and they’ve been making it for more than 350 years that’s where you’ll find more and IMIO the best expressions of the grape.

Yes. I have loved some of the Joly wines I’ve had, but I would never suggest them as an introduction to anything because they’re so incredibly variable. Except maybe an extremely well stored 2001 Coulee de Serrant. The newer vintages made by Virginie seem to be cleaner and more consistent, but I doubt any of the are ready to drink.

You don’t have to love/get something just because someone else does. There is an upside to this and it’s financial. I’d be happy to have one more wine I don’t have to buy and/or cellar.

1 Like

Which do you recommend? In my limited experience, they’ve ranged from acceptable to good, quaffable wines; maybe one or two even very good. But like chenin from CA, nothing to rival the nuance or depth of a Chidaine or Francois Pinon, let alone a Huet.

Two recent wines that I found very impressive were Delheim ‘Wild Ferment’ 2018 and De Morgenzon - any of them, and Ken Forrester’s FMC is a powerhouse.

But with so much Chenin, there are so many styles. Plenty to explore - if available where you are.

Thanks Peter - will keep an eye out for them. Are those wines meant for early drinking, or do they need 10+ years to show their best? I’ve had Forrester’s regular Old Vine cuvee, which I enjoyed and was good value. I see the 2018 FMC available near me for $75, which is what I paid for 1985 Huet le Mont a couple years ago.

Huet’s sparkler is nothing special, imo — exact same impression as you, and I love Chenin.

For South Africa: I recently had the Kloof Street - Chenin Blanc Old Vines. I got mine from K&L for $20. Jaw-dropping QPR on that one.

+1000 on South Africa. Other good producers are Alheit (and they also have a great blend with Semillon, Alheit), Mullinuex (at multiple price points).
Prices are unreal (for now any way though Ive noticed Alheit in particular edging up) and they have a lot of old vines.

Yes, I mean the Huet Cuvee Constance!

I’m in the same camp as John — I think there are some surprisingly good CBs coming out of California. In addition to the tasty Aperture and Sandlands offerings, I recommend the Zeitgeist Cellars CB (by the talented husband-and-wife winemakers Mark Porembski and Jennifer Williams) and the T. Berkley Wines CB (by Taylor Boydstun). One of those might float your boat and, even if it doesn’t, you won’t be breaking the bank trying them out.

I enjoy Vinum Cellars CNW from Clarksburg, CA.

two other laudable producers of california chenin: leo steen and lieu dit

I have had a whopping two Chenin Blanc ever in my life, both of them in the last two weeks: 2019 Pinon Vouvray and 2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut Lieu. All I can say is bummer for the OP, because damn this stuff is good! I will also add that I don’t really find it particularly similar to Chardonnay, so Chardonnay doesn’t “do it better” anymore than Pinot Noir does it better than Nebbiolo. They are both different, the are both excellent, they both require serious drinking in serious quantities. [cheers.gif]

Like David, I’m another person that has tried to really like Chenin. I don’t. It’s fine but the examples I tend to like best are those that show less typical varietal character. I’ve come to the conclusion that I personally get better value out of Chablis, Muscadet and Apremont in comparison to the wines I typically like from Loire Chenin. Like others, the sweet wines are usually lesser than many other famous places IMO and don’t exactly offer better value.

That being said there are good values. As many others have mentioned the Huet wines can be quite good and won’t scalp you to purchase. Savennieres offers very nice light, dry value whites but you probably want to taste first if Chenin isn’t your thing.

Sparkling wines are probably the last thing to try if you are trying to understand a region or grape known for dry or sweet wines first.

That’s an interesting comment. Because in my books Savennieres is about as powerful and weighty as Chenin gets - at least if you leave those heavily oaked new world super Chenins out. Of the classic Loire styles, Savennieres must be the most muscular and concentrated style of wine. Rarely anything “light” there, especially if you taste them side-by-side with classic dry Vouvray, Anjou, Saumur or Chinon Blanc.