PLCB turning off the lights...

Y’all’s Google-Fu might be a lot better than mine, but my searching indicates to me that almost the entirety of the alcohol abuse research concerns the prevalence of binge drinking amongst very wealthy children at elite private schools & universities [which, when you think about the state of our pseudo-society, makes perfect sense].

As far as I can tell, there is almost NOTHING in the recent literature which would give any idea as to the prevalence of persistent intractable alcoholism amongst the lower classes, the poor, or the destitute [such as the homeless].

[But again, y’all’s Google-Fu might be significantly better than mine.]

However, I did find one study, from circa 2009 to 2011, using self-reported instances of alcohol dependence, according to the old DSM-4 definitions [which were superceded by the new DSM-5 definitions in 2013]:

[u]Preventing Chronic Disease | Prevalence of Alcohol Dependence Among US Adult Drinkers, 2009–2011 - CDC

If we take [circa 2019] demographic numbers for Pennsylvania, and multiply them against those [circa 2009-2011] Alcohol-dependence percentages for the entire United States, then we get a tally which looks like:

ASIAN: (349,088 total) X (1.4% ETOH dependent) = 4,887 ETOH dependent
WHITE: (10,406,288 total) X (3.4% ETOH dependent) = 353,814 ETOH dependent
BLACK: (1,377,689 total) X (3.7% ETOH dependent) = 50,974 ETOH dependent
HISPANIC: (719,660 total) X (4.0% ETOH dependent) = 28,786 ETOH dependent
TWO OR MORE RACES: (237,835 total) X (4.1% ETOH dependent) = 9,751 ETOH dependent
AMERINDIAN/ALASKAN: (26,843 + 235 total) X (9% ETOH dependent) = 2,437 ETOH dependent

GRAND SUB-TOTAL, STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA: 450,649 ETOH dependent

So you’d be just shy of half a million [self-reported] cases of DSM-4 ETOH dependence in the state of Pennsylvania.

And even if only the very worst ten percent of those with [self-reported] ETOH dependence were in danger of going into Delirium Tremens s/p ETOH withdrawal, you’d be looking at more than 45,000 patients.

[/quote]
First interaction with Nathan?
[/quote]

And our last. This guy just can’t shut the f&*k up.

blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah

It’s all shut down…including the on-line store.

RT

It’s not that hard to buy stuff from OOS here.

OOS? Out of State? Heaven forbid.

RT

Anti-anxiety medication prescriptions have spiked 34% during the coronavirus pandemic
Published: April 16, 2020 at 12:26 p.m. ET
Anti-anxiety medication prescriptions have spiked 34% during the coronavirus pandemic - MarketWatch

A message to our valued customers regarding coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronavirus

…the PLCB is accepting limited numbers of online orders at FineWineAndGoodSpirits.com and has introduced a curbside pickup program beginning Monday, April 20…

rumor is that they are opening up . . .

A limited number of stores have indeed opened…curbside pickup, but call in ordering only!!!

After seeing the protests in Harrisburg all I could think is what a bunch of morons.

Licensed grocery stores and gas stations continued to sell wine and beer…as did beer distributors (deemed life sustaining). Restaurants were allowed to sell booze (including mixed drinks) to go. The PA distillery business has had a crazy mini-boom.

PLCB continues to be a bad joke. Their on-line ordering has been woefully inadequate. Of 1.2 million people browsing the website, only 10k could place orders.

The PLCB curbside pickup service has already been overwhelmed…after one day. Severe staff limitations. Limited hours. Limited orders. Limited locations.

RT

And by limiting locations and hours they ensure that crowds will gather at the few open places during the few open hours. Idiocy.

Reminds me of my own idiot governor’s curfew laws which helps increase crowds at grocery stores thus risking health while ensuring that businesses lose even more money than they would otherwise. A nice lose/lose policy.

I grew up in PA. Thank goodness I don’t live there anymore. While I have seen some good deals on wine it is better to have competition. Our city run liquor stores actually had to start selling below retail when Total Wine came to town.

The real question is …When were the lights really on?

Living in PA, it amazes me how few people truly take advantage of the loosened shipping rules over the last few years. I have no need or desire to ship at the PA State store unless I have to grab a quick gift and convenience wins out.

Same here. I never buy PLCB wine. I buy direct and ship to either PA or NJ.

I still sporadically pop in once in a while for a pre-researched bottle or two (i.e.: the February Leap Day 10% off sale). There’s usually something drinkable to be found. I avoid all the shelf-talker discount wines (Chairman’s Sections, etc.). Tasted far too many over the years with too little success. PLCB used to have some pretty impressive blow out sales. Much fewer of late and less attractive discounts.

RT

I’m glad to have one nearby if I run out of a cocktail ingredient or don’t have a cooking wine on hand.

Pretty soon they will have some world class sake for special order. Once special orders are allowed again… Sigh.

(Disclosure - my husband imports it)

Fortunately for me, Total Wine in Delaware is about 30 minutes away. If I buy just one bottle there, it makes up for the cost of gas.

A friend of mine had to call almost 100 times today before he got through to do an alcohol order.

Wait, you guys can’t just go to another wine shop or order from out of state?..