Plastic wrap reduces TCA: PROVEN!?

Doesn’t work for me for the reasons stated above. It may take out the negative flavors associated with TCA but it doesn’t rejuvenate a wine and make it taste like an unaffected bottle.

So, in essence, you’re saying pour it down the drain. Oh OK. neener

OK Mr Pedantic Pants. neener

The bottom line is the wine is not recoverable. That’s why I thought Kenny Rogers was most appropriate.

“Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run”

Brian, i have been known to try and drink a little, if only to get a sense of a wine if I don’t have experience with it. But otherwise, yes, unless you can enjoy the bottle the way it is, down the drain. Numerous discussions have claimed you can still cook with it, though I have never tried that. I suspect in a longer braise, TCA would either dissipate, or perhaps be chemically degraded, but I don’t know that for sure. It’s a halogenated aromatic (which, in chemistry, means something entirely different from aroma), which tend to be fairly reactive under the right conditions.

Well, if by “get rid of the smell” you meant put it down the drain, you were absolutely correct :wink:

In all seriousness, in this age of seeming acceptance of all sorts of distortions and untruths, I have no shame in doing what I can to provide the best facts at hand.

Oh you can cook with it for sure. I’ve cooked with a brutally corked bottle of Lagier Meredith Syrah and the TCA cooks off.

You’re just a TCA denier neener

Funny, I opened what would have been a lovely bottle of Lapierre Cuvee MMXVIII, only to find it corked. I’m going to try cooking with it.

Actually, I’ve read TCA binds with fats in some dishes rather than cooking off.

-Al

I used mine in spaghetti sauce, low fat!