Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

No you are not. [wink.gif]

He did keep back some 1985 for me, as it was preordered

For birthday next year? Do it sooner (this year).

No, I’m not. I definitely didn’t get all of the 1985 that I wanted. [snort.gif]

I’m open. We should actually discuss the Benetiere experiment - I’m around next week…

If you guys can hold your horses, my charity tasting next year will be a Magdelaine vertical going back to 1970, with a stray bottle of 1959 thrown in.

Why not both? champagne.gif

Years ago I was in Providence and bought 6 bottles from a wine shop in the Italian part of town (or what it seemed to be to me as a first timer there in 2004) and one of them was that exact Conterno Barolo. Wines never showed up. They accused me of lying about it. They apparently “sent them” USPS and couldn’t track the box. The other wines were good as well but the one I specifically remember was that Conterno. Thanks for posting on it. One that literally got away. Oh, my CC company credited me the purchase.

My fault since I made the mistake of recommending Magdelaine to Alfert. After that the end was in sight.

champagne.gif

I gave my English source to both Alfert and Kahn, little thinking there was a Magdelaine offer coming. And now look what happened…

Next year, probably September with some close relation of Herbert.
4E9DDCEC-F8F7-4BD1-8C80-021C8DC89F3F.jpeg

Sounds like any of about five TN’s I’ve written on Chateau Musar. I assume you’re tasted and are a fan.

-af

Now we’re talking…like a Midwest preview of Mark’s more comprehensive charity vertical! [cheers.gif]

I pretty much wrote off Musar after a vertical where all the wines seemed really shrill in the finish. Without knowing anything about the winemaking, I put it down to a late acidification.

1 Like

Musar is an interesting exercise for me.

On paper, this is exactly what I should love. Has all the rustic, feral, high-acid, red-fruit qualities that I love in some distinct wines. And yet, my experience with Musar has been quite varied. I have had far more misses than hits, to the point that I really don’t buy it. I have not given up on the wine, however. Had a ‘99 a month or so ago that was smokin, prompting me to grab some more that just came in.

Incidentally, I popped a 2006 LdH Tondonia the night before last, finished the rest last night. Cannot predict whether it hits the heights of A So’s 1981, but it sure was excellent, with some similarities in tasting descriptors.

Except that it isn’t. It’s a 93.

Not that this is necessarily a novel take, but my thinking with Musar is that two out of three bottles I consume (assuming they have some age on them) are great. One in three is a puzzler. If I pay $40 per bottle at release, that means my average cost for a stellar bottle is $60. I can’t find a better experience (for my palate) than a great bottle of Musar for less than $150 elsewhere.

Clearly, Chateau Musar is the Sex Panther of wine.

I do find that the importer on Musar (Broadbent good; others bad) makes a difference in the ratio of gems to puzzlers.

Also a big LdH fan.

-af

Lol, classic pop culture reference there! My sex panther is Levet. Meeeoooww.