Pierre Girardin : new kid on the block

There is a very strong younger generation in Burgundy. I am very impressed by wines from a number of producers where younger people have taken over the wineries or started new ones.

The wine OP mentions is $800 at Atomix.

Actually, it looks like the specific wine that Herwig drank is $220 on the ‘sample’ list provided on the Atomix website. It’s the PYCM P-M Les Folatieres that’s $800.

When I was in Burgundy in July, I went to the Caveau de Saint Aubin where the proprietor was selling Meursault Narvaux from Vincent Girardin, but it was labeled just “Girardin” and didn’t have import/export type labels so she would only sell the bottles to locals. It was delicious and only 25 euro per bottle! I wish I could have brought a few home at that rate.

Lastly, it looks like many of Vincent’s wines for sale in the US are already marked up so it doesn’t seem to be a secret any more, unfortunately.

Oh. I guess the guy there gave me the wrong price.

This is the same place I purchased a case and 1/2 of his wines…

Bought a case at about 50€. It is what it is now.

Visited last week and had a very good tasting. Will be reporting in detail in TWA, but the whites are made with foulage and quite firm pressing (both pneumatic and Vaslin), followed by élevage in more or less exclusively François Frères barrels (I saw a few from Chassin too), with lots of larger format barrels. Elevage is quite long, without stirring. The resulting whites are chalky and incisive but with texture and concentration: 17s from bottle showed well, with 18s promising too. Pierre-Vincent seems to have really hit the ground running with the whites. Reds see minimal pigeage and, for the CdN appellations, quite a bit of whole cluster: very supple, elegantly rendered red that are quite fruit-driven I would say. They are very charming and nicely made, and 18 is a step up over 17, but I expect there is more excitement to come in the future on the red side of the ledger.

That’s awesome, William! How’s his new facility? Looking forward to opening a few bottles after they arrive at the end of month…

Question - Did you have any favorites?

Gus

Very well appointed! But tastefully done, too. I was quite envious.

I think the Puligny Folatières that launched this thread, from the part of Folatières that lost the 1er cru when some soil from the construction of the Savigny autoroute was dumped there (like d’Auvenay’s En la Ricarde), is one of the highlights. As is the 2017 Corton-Charlemagne—there’s only one cuvée in '17, but two in '18. Any more than that I really should save for our subscribers…

Thanks, William! I look forward to reading the report in TWA…

Same here, when is it expected to come out?

I had the Pierre Girardin 2017 Corton Charlemagne yesterday . Unfortunately , I did not like it at all . A lack of vibrancy , dull and too floral . In style , miles away from the other wines I tasted from him .
I am looking forward reading William’s report

Thanks for the up-date Herwig! Will try the 2017 Pierre Girardin Bourgogne Blanc tomorrow …

This is why I like this forum - forces me to re-examine things. I’ve had one Pierre Girardin and found it too oaky for my palate. I think I’ll try them again based on most of this feedback (well, maybe not based on Herwig’s latest note!). I thought the Vincent whites were pretty good QPR.

Don’t be shy, take someone asking a legitimate question and just pound em right down to the ground-sheesh.
Hungover are we?

You obviously did not read much of the thread. I guess it must be too new. It has only been up for a month.

So since the father sold the Domaine does that mean all the wines are negociant? I don’t even know if the Corton Charlemagne/Quintessence from the dad was negociant or not.