Piemonte

Thanks everyone for the very helpful responses. I think I have now sorted out the restaurants we would like to visit.

Last request: Good producers to visit. Here we are looking for friendly and hospitable visits with good wine. I know all(err, most depending on who you ask) the big names and if any fall on this list and are accessible that is great as well, but wasn’t planning on more than maybe one. And by big names I mean the top houses like Conterno, Giacosa etc.

Also, Sandrone as an example is probably about as modern in style as I want to go. Prefererences lean to the traditional side. Thanks once more. This board is an incredibly valuable resource for traveling.

To add one more resto to the mix, I truly loved our 3 hour lunch at Il Centro, located in Priocca. And wherever you end up, try the tajarin. There’s also a traditional beef/veal tartare dish.

To get you started on producers, Pat Burton created an encyclopedic thread:

Hi Kenneth
On the whole, I’d say that’s a given considering how hospitable Piemontese producers are. I can only think is one that was blandly commercial, a very historic producer trading on their name from decades before.

So my advice is to look on a map and try and make it so you can fit a short walk in e.g. plan to park up in the morning at the restaurant you have a lunch booking for. Then plan 2-3 wineries in walking distance of that restaurant. Your designated driver can then taste the wines that morning, knowing they’ll have a substantial lunch to ensure they are well within the safe/legal limit. Maybe even factor in a walk after lunch through the vines, before wither heading back, or to a final 1-2 appointments. The scenery is lovely, but I do prefer it on foot in the fresh air, to seeing it from behind the window of a car.

Even without the walking, it’s not difficult to organise visits in close proximity, which can help give insight into the variations e.g. Verduno one day, La Morra the next, Serralunga for following day.

Regards
Ian

Thanks, Ian. I have been to France a few times tasting and have been very well received, but of course some places better than others. Just wasn’t sure how similar it is, but sounds very similar to Burgundy. Was really just looking for friendly hospitable folks more for my wife than anything. I am happy with a glass of wine to taste from damn near anyone if the wine is good, but being entertained really helps when I drag her along. Also, we collectively speak about a dozen words of Italian, so there is that to consider.

If going to Barbaresco, make a quick visit to
Castello di Neive
www.castellodineive.it/en/vini

Had a wonderful visit there