Piedmont trip: which estates should I visit? Update: Trip report.

Thanks Guys. I may buy a wine check ($100) and take it over with out the box inside. I could pack that in a suitcase and then I can get the shipper box while I am there. I guess I wouldn’t even need to have the wine check portion if I just check the shipping box as luggage?

Be careful. I thought an extra bag would be $50 for an extra checked bag. Swiss Air hit me for 200 Euro. Their website which I checked was confusing. You need to really check. If you pack lightly Amazon has something called wine skin which is inexpensive and you can put it into check luggage and displace your clothes to carry on.

Why not ship with mail boxes etc.? My understanding is, it is $10/bottle? Is it a customs issue when the wine gets into the US? Or is a cost issue (if the goal is to pick up QPR nebbiolo?)

Yes, it has to be cleared by a customs broker unless it accompanies you. So, apart from the hassle of lugging/schlepping, it’s much easier to bring it to the airport and check it if you’re talking about a case or two.