Picpoul: the joys of simple wine

Arv, Based on your finding this producer’s Picpoul lacking in the “crisp” , “zippy”, and shellfish friendly components, I would recommend giving the Domaine Felines Jourdan’s basic Picpoul a try before you move on from Picpoul for good. You might be pleased. FWIW. -Jim

Picpoul Blanc does well in Paso Robles, although the wines I’ve had tend to be a bit of a different style as the grape in Paso tends to produce a somewhat richer wine while still holding good acidity.

-Al

Another bottle of the 2017 HB Picpoul de Pinet [Costieres de Pomerols], this time with halibut & hash browns, and finished over 4 days. It was good, but remains a little less crisp than I would expect. Solid wine but no need to repurchase. I’ll keep an eye out for other purveyors of the varietal though.

Blair Guthrie makes Picpoul from Rorick Heritage Vyd for this Guthrie Family Wines label and it’s pretty damn good.

I have a bottle of 2018 Tablas Creek - I’ll rip the cork this weekend

The tasting notes on the various vintages are funny. Stuff like “paired with a burrito” or “nice with costco roasted chicken”

That’s the way I roll. [cheers.gif]

I have access to 6-8 different Picpouls in my market, but the Felines Jourdan is my favorite with just a but more minerality and focus than the others. Domaine des Lauriers is another top notch producer.

I think something like 3/4 of Picpoul is made by co-ops, with a number of different labels under those co-ops, so there’s a lot of boring Picpoul out there, but there are some good ones.

The only one that I have drunk was the '17 Tablas Creek which I enjoyed. Great summer quaff.

Loved Picpoul when drunk in Sete on the coast but it doesn’t always travel well.

Love the Picpoul from Cellar 33 and Highlawn.

The 2018 was particularly good.

Just don’t eat too much shellfish!

• 2018 Tablas Creek Picpoul Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Adelaida District (6/21/2020)
    Nice wine that reminds me of a cross between Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc. But has a little bit of the petrol note and the high acid of a Sauvignon Blanc. The palate is a delicious pineapple and lemon. Really enjoyable

Posted from CellarTracker

Great summer wine with seafood. Bonny Doon and Tablas Creek make American versions and I liked the Tablas Creek, Bonny Doon was a little flabby. Usually drink Picpoul from Gerard Bertrand as that is the one most available here.

Its a consistent, inexpensive, summer porch sipper. Can’t do worst while playing guitar on the porch and wasting away an afternoon lightly.

In Southern France in summer I don’t wanna drink “points” … a Picpoul is a nice refreshing drink, usually better than 90% of all Ros’es - and for 7-12 € … perfect for any fish dish … so what?

veng blanc!