PICHON COMTESSE / PICHON BARON / LYNCH BAGES

Actually, I think the conclusion that should be made from these results is that the wines are for the most part performing the same. If someone would kindly run a statistical analysis on the numbers we’d probably find that there is no statistical significance between the 3 in each vintage :wink:

Because, in my experience (and I would like to hear from others) unless bought at the same time and taken from the same cellar, the differences between older bottles is often bigger than the difference between the specific wines themselves. Add to this the complexity of how a given wine shows differently at different times. This why some people say “there is no such thing as a great wine, just great bottles”

I also agree with the all of the comments posted by Mark.

As to the format…interesting, but a real diservice to both the '89 vintage and Lynch Bages. First, your '89 Baron had to be off. Second, by omitting the '89 Lynch, your not including one of the best wines that the Chateau has made in the past twentyfive years.

Jeff couldn’t agree more. The 89 Lynch is such a great wine and the results are a bit flawed without it.

Paul- I really enjoyed the 2000 lynch. In a Lynch vertical we did a couple years ago, I think the 2000 was the groups #2 behind the 89.If not it was certainly mine. It was young but it showed so much potential. IIRC it was most closely to the 89 in terms of power with maintaing elegance.

+1

i absolutely agree!
the Baron 89 was the most deceiving wine of the tasting.
where it should have been the star of the evening.
12 tasters came to this same conclusion after tasting the wine blind :
The wine was very evolved, with a very high alcohol impression, we could not dedect any fault, just a monolitic fading big fat monster lacking elegance and spine.
We were all very surprised because this wine consistently had very high ratings , and not only from professionals with an " american" taste, but also Quarin rated it well.
i guess we will have to organise a mini battle including the Baron and the missing Lynch. :slight_smile:

JP - thanks for posting and taking the time to put this together. Quality analysis.

Philip - I completely understand where you are coming from, but I think there is a place in our wine education for an academic study like this. I think that JP did a good job for controlling for variables, and while I wouldn’t give a belt or a crown to any of the chateau for the results, I’m sure this was enlightening for those involved in understanding and gaining an appreciation for each of these stellar Chateau. You learn an immense amount about a chateau by drinking its lineage together, not to mention about the vintage variance in Bordeaux.

Cheers

+1
The mere fact that we spend time on a board like this suggests a avocation with a bent towards academic. I see no reason why vertical tastings can’t fit that bill. I for one have gained great knowledge from the ones we do. I do get pleasure from an academic study.
That doesn’t mean I do them every night.