Philippe Cambie Dies

Probably the most interesting project was… Vieux Donjon. He did the blending for them, and it dramatically improved the quality of the wine while not changing the style either.

The Halos of Jupiter wines (his brand) were not heavy handed, and frankly huge values too.

He did not.

Super sad to have read this (Joe Czerwinski posted on social media).

He was incredible, and very insightful. He was not only a great winemaker, but a tremendous oenologist who really understood terroir. Despite the concerns about “how big” his wines are (not all of them are), they actually age really well and will calm down in town. Special winemaker for sure.

Thanks for the link. We will toast him tonight with a 2006 Hillaire “Petits Pieds d’Armand.”

Thank you for that – my impression is that list is his current clients.

I have had some Cambie wines which don’t seem to be on that list anymore, unless I overlooked Bressy Masson somewhere.

I had the pleasure of having dinner with him in 2008 or 2009 in Washington DC. I had never heard of him but when I was in DC for a conference, my uncle arranged for me to join him for a dinner organized by Roger Schagrin. They were drinking the wines of Clos St. Jean with one of the Maurel brothers and Cambie. The 2005 Deus ex Machina was the wine that caused me to fall in love with Cambie’s wines. After the dinner was over, I went up to Mr. Cambie and said, "Bonjour, I understand that you are the Michel Rolland of Chateauneuf. He laughed and responded, in his thick French accent, “Non, non Monsieur. Michel Rolland is the Phillipe Cambie of Bordeaux.” I met him a few times after that and words like ebullient immediately come to mind. He was a pleasure to talk to, a great winemaker and an excellent storyteller.

4 Likes

Thanks for that. I follow Vieux Donjon which along with Pegau are the only two I buy in nearly every vintage.

I didn’t know him but I was aware of how his wines were characterized. Well, I just looked at his clients list on his website (my god!!) and it’s clear he helped make countless wines that I loved - and in a such a broad range of styles I find it quite shocking. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us, Mr. Cambie. Rest in peace.