Philadelphia - quick trip this month (next week!)

One more thing: If you love tea, the loose tea shop (for buying tea, not for drinking) down the block from 4th Street Deli is the best I have ever seen in the US by a wide margin.

Mark -

Fork is still really good. Will be eating there next week.

George

I’d focus on hitting places that are near each other

Close Option #1
One new destination not mentioned, near you, is the Bar/Jean Georges on the Top Floor of the new Four Seasons in the new Comcast II Tower; grand cru experience and views; a must visit if only for a few drinks and apps

Close to the Four Seasons is the Barnes Museum, a newer museum in a classic style containing one of the top Impressionist collections

Close Option #2
Near your hotel is Rittenhouse Square, which is a great city park to walk to with great food/bar venues; to quote some above, add some and rank them, I’d suggest: Vernick (best food); Parc (French vibe and people watching fun); and off the park but nearby, Monk’s Cafe with the deepest Belgian beer list (and library collections) in the US and great mussels/pub fare

Option #3
Reading Terminal Market; you won’t see this in Orange County; DiNics is great but split a sandwich; if you don’t get in line by 11:15, you won’t have lunch there. That’s ok because a good friend opened Umi Seafood and Sushi, his fourth venture and the only one not bearing a Bluefin name on it

Option #4
Olde City - I’d go with Cadence over Fork if headed that way; there is a pretty good wine shop across the street and you can byo at Cadence

Option 5
South Street
Tons of restaurants and bars including all day food at Hungry Pigeon and https://www.brauhausschmitz.com if you want to get your Oktoberfest on.

This is amazing - thanks everybody! I’ve got enough for a week…but I’m there basically one full day, a late evening, and that’s it!

The Barnes art museum is a must visit.

Yeah, if you are an art museum guy, it would be my #1 must-see in Phil. If not, the history walking tour around Independence Hall is absolutely must-see. I haven’t done this so can’t really recommend it, but as a history buff, something like this interests me a lot:

We mentioned to you Res Ipsa as a favorite BYO place. So many delicious small plates.
https://www.resipsaphilly.com/

Ok - reservation made for tomorrow evening at Res Ipsa - will have to look for a nearby wine shop now!

Enjoyed the Museum of the American Revolution.

it is a state run wine empire. the store on Chestnut street has the best selection
1112 CHESTNUT ST #28
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19107-4802

There’s a newer (i.e. 6 years old) “PLCB Premium Store” at 2040 Market, 1/3 mile for Res Ipsa. You should be able to find something there if you want something within easy walking distance of Res Ipsa.

RT

Sorry, Todd - if we were in town, I’d say come by the house and we can find a nice bottle for your dinner. The selection is better than at the PLCB.

I have not been there, but have heard very good things about Zahav. http://www.zahavrestaurant.com/

It is fantastic. Get the “off the menu” tasting menu which includes the best lamb shoulder I have ever had.

Hopefully you made it to Reading terminal market for lunch. So many great choices you can’t go wrong. I always finish with a fresh filled cannoli at Termini brothers bakery. One of my favorite things in the world

that’s for damn sure

Bumping this as we are thinking of going to Philadelphia later this summer. My understanding is that one cannot bring wine into the Pennsylvania on an airplane from another State, is the correct? Thank you and thanks for a lot of great information regarding the city!

Ed

That’s maybe correct by the letter of the law but in practice you’ll be fine unless you’re bringing an inordinate amount.

Thanks, and my apologies for the lack of grammar with the question!

Ed

Agree with Michael. Maybe by late summer we will make it to the green phase of reopening.

1 Like