Philadelphia Area Off-site Storage Options

Depending on how “full service” the venue is, it would also be nice to have a place which would accept delivery and possibly do local pick up and delivery (to my home) of cases of wine (but the ability to do this in Pennsylvania may be limited). Based on the survey questions, it also looks like they are considering a model that hosts tastings and provides space for member organized tastings.

We will be just west of the city between Newtown Square and West Chester, when we finally find a house to our liking. In the end, we will be within a 5 minute drive of the house we just sold. We are looking for a little more land and a little more house, hopefully to stay in through our kids’ schooling years.

TW

I took the survey. There are definitely some challenges with wine storage in PA, but Camden is up and coming! [rofl.gif]

I am hopeful that the survey responses indicate that there is a strong enough market for storage services in the Philadelphia area to justify the investment in figuring out compliance and other issues. With the exception of the horror stories about theft of stored wine, it seems that folks in other states are happy to have the option available to them and make use of it.

What school district are you looking in? That is exactly how I explain where we live since we aren’t really “in” Malvern, West Chester or Newtown Square.

Currently - Rose Tree Media

Potentially - Rose Tree Media, West Chester, or Newtown Square.

Chadds Ford is too far West. Great Valley is too far North, Garnet Valley is too far south.

TW

Great Valley comes all the way down to Rt 3 which is where we are but the middle school and high school are pretty far away from that part of the school district.

I’m interested to know what the challenges for setting up wine storage would be (and what the outcome of the poll was). Understandably the state is in control of alcohol sales but does storage fall under the states purview as well? Is the storage model feasible without tastings? I just moved to Philly from Los Angeles and I’m still adapting to my new normal.

In Pittsburgh, one of the self storage facilities has temp controlled wine storage. So, no prohibition. The inability to ship or presumably receive wine shipments would be a negative for a specialized wine storage facility.

Yes - I believe that Sarah was referring to the inability to legally receive shipments from retailers and/or wineries that have not registered with the Commonwealth.

Got it. So the restrictions for the facility would be the same as for the consumer. I guess that’s not too bad.

Except that I hear rumors that there are plenty of retailers and unregistered wineries that ship to individuals in PA. They might have qualms about doing so to a facility and/or the facility might have concerns about receiving such shipments.

Happy to be FROM the Philadephia area

Got it. Stating the obvious, state run liquor is stupid, BUT it’s $250/year for the retailer to register and $.62 per bottle in excise tax. I understand margin in wine is slim but it seems a bit silly to not be in compliance… Just talking this through as I’m wondering if it’s something I can do. Seems to be a market for it.

Do you have a cite?

Living in the Philly area I always wondered why there isn’t an offsite in Camden. Domaine are you listening?

As an update to the original thread, I ended up not moving as the inspection showed some major stucco issues and we couldn’t settle with the buyers. We ended up contracting to do a full remediation and add a 1500sqft addition to the house. Super glad it worked out this way and we love our location.