Petite Sirah is pretty boring

Did you have it recently?

I had a 2007 Cameron Hughes Lot 167 that I had completely forgotten about, enjoyed about a year ago. The 2006 Eaglepoint Ranch Petit Sirah that was on closeout here (by Casey Hartlip, I believe) was also a discovery around the same time - the difference between aged PS and young is absolutely mind-blowing, even more exaggerated than Bordeaux (anyone who has been to UGC knows what I mean)

Agree that Pets doesn’t often disappoint. For the price, Bogle is hard to beat.

That can’t be boring!
champagne.gif

Right? Man I’d love a glass.

Winebid is a tremendous resource for inexpensive, great aged PS.

I would also add that I’ve recently had some tremendous young PS from the Palisades vineyard…plenty of talk about it in some previous posts. The '12 & '13 Mending Wall PS bottles are well worth the tariff. Enjoy them with some BBQ and good times are guaranteed.

I am amazed at the army of loyal Petite Sirah lovers who have crawled out of the woodwork in its defense.

I have always enjoyed PS, even though most of my experiences have been with younger bottles. I have had PS wines from all over California, as well as a couple from the warmer Australian areas. I enjoyed most of what I have tasted.

One thing that is not being stressed as heavily as I would’ve anticipated is the fact that many inexpensive varietal or PS-heavy bottlings are great QPR selections. JNBrown and Nate Simon have chimed in on some values.

The recent vintages from Bogle have been rather impressive. In the past, Concannon, McMannis, and other “Grocery Store” labels have delivered the goods for ~$10/btl.

Im in the crowd that says sit and wait on them. I buy about 3-4 bottles a year. I may start opening them after a min of 10 years of age.

Big time!! Would love to taste this one.

Don’t think I’ve ever even seen a note on it. Has anyone ever tried it??

Probably those people who do like it have a hard time understanding why anybody wants a wine to taste of wet horse saddle, graphite and lead pencil shavings or a blend of mashed green vegetables.

That’s my plan also.
I do have a few 2005 and 2006 to open.
This thread got me motivated to try them!
champagne.gif

Just looked it up.
Parker The 2012 Petite Sirah should be the greatest PS to ever come out of California(or the world). Made from 94% PS 6% Viognier and aged in 80% old hogsheads and 20% new French oak. It is only bottled in magnum and will be sold along with the new Sine Qua Non label art book. 97-100 August 2014

More from that review:
“A massive, full-bodied effort that offers incredible depth and richness without ever seeming heavy or cumbersome, it offers up blockbuster-styled aromas and flavors of blackberry, cassis, crushed rocks, beef blood and licorice. It should age for decades.”

I don’t drink that much PS these days, and particularly not the more-polished styles you sometimes run across. That said, I’ve appreciated multiple bottles of Field Stone’s versions over time, especially their reserves (mostly through my mother-in-law, who worked in their tasting room some years ago).

They’re still big and sometimes need air to blow off a little reduction, but I find them to be a bit spicier/funkier and more interesting than most. They also seem to age forever, slowly mellowing and integrating over time but really not changing much. Over the last 5-6 years, I’ve had the 1978, 1984, 1991, 1997, and a couple of younger ones, and the age difference is much slighter than I’d expect. My experience is that they don’t show much of their complexity until about year five, and waiting until closer to year 10 is better.

Most-recently:

2006 Field Stone Petite Sirah Staten Family Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (10/17/2014)
Not decanted, consumed over 2+ hours. A little funky on the nose at first, this came together very nicely over time, and the last of the bottle was the best. Almost black at the core, with a deep ruby/garnet rim. My note from 2010 still largely holds up - this is full of dense blackberry fruit, black pepper, baking chocolate, and hints of campfire and rubber (although the rubberiness dissipated with air). Subtle but present tannins and good acid for a petite.

Petite sirah isn’t generally my favorite varietal, but I’m a fan of Field Stone’s version, and this bottle is a good example of why that is. 90-91, and nowhere near being at the end of its life…my experience is that these reserve petites hold up almost indefinitely. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks! Yep, I have seen that Parker review before actually, but was wondering if any of us “normal folks” here on the board have had a taste. Would love to hear some candid feedback.

Mending wall’s petite has already been mentioned. That was inky, interesting, and a great value.

Prospect 772 from sierra foothills makes a petite/syrah blend called black tie charlie that is extremely good and only goes for 20 something.

Smart money Doc.
I used to like the Hayfork PS but I don’t think they make it any more.

Uncorked the 2013 Carlisle Sonoma County just now in prep for tomorrow night, got to tell you it smells great already. Will have next to a modern benchmark: Scholium Project 2004 Babylon.

Flannery Jorge Steak too.

Science!

Now THAT…sounds like a helluva night!!

Good stuff buddy - enjoy!!

Sounds delicious Glenn. Too bad Petite Sirah has no tannin and acid to complement that wonderful steak.

Nice