Peter Luger's - no corkage and bad reviews

I always thought dinner was terrible. The staff was consistently rude and the food could be uneven.

Lunch was always far, far better. More relaxed, no rush from the staff and they were actually friendly.

I’ve had some great meat there and the bacon always delivers.

Not surprised by the bad review in the NYT whatsoever.

Wait what? What’s a yellow power tie? What was this 1973?

Luger’s is a place to take out of towner’s akin to going to Katz Deli. It’s a destination rather than an gastronomic life changer. Not being able to bring your own wine its banana’s though. Charge $50 corkage at least to allow people to bring in special stuff…

That’s what I was trying to tell them when we went for my wife’s birthday. The servers were pretty good to us that time and even cooked her part of the porterhouse a little more without fussing over it. So I can’t complain about that dinner. But seriously, they’re not the best steak I’ve eaten and that’s what they should have been. A steakhouse isn’t that hard to figure out - buy good meat and don’t damage it. But when you have the competition that Luger’s has now, you kind of need to change now and then, even if it’s only incrementally. Like taking credit cards? Or allowing BYO?

OTOH, seems like they’re still doing pretty well, so what do they need our opinions for? NYC has a lot of places like that - places where the tourists want to go and get the NYC experience. Or what they think is the NYC experience.

They’re broadcasting how much they value you, the customer.

How many other businesses are there where you could refuse to innovate, provide substandard customer service, overcharge, while offering an inferior product?

(And still have people shill for you - which is frankly weird).

None that are legal. This place, and its ilk, are a dinosaur. And it’s time to go.

Last time I went everyone kind of said “why are we coming here?” Nobody could really stick up for the place. Been back once or twice for lunch meetings but not dinner.

If you’re in the hood and hankering for cholesterol, I’d take st anslem over Lugers any day.

Katz’s >>> Luger’s

I still love Katz’s.

Best part of Luger’s has always been the bacon.

After reading this review I would never go to Peter Lugers.
Curiosity got the best of me so I checked their website. It seems they have 2 locations and sell their prime steak mail order.
With so many great steak houses and mail order prime steak available from places like Flannery it is another example of an establishment living off the past.

This business will die soon unless they change.

You don’t feel ripped off at Katz’s, even if the pastrami isn’t first class. It’s still real – glaring fluorescent lights and all. My only complaint the last time I was there, a year or so ago, was that it was mostly tourists at lunch time. I hadn’t been in years and feared it might be dying with all the gentrification on the Lower East Side, but it’s definitely holding its own.

If that pastrami isn’t first class, then first class pastrami no longer exists. The claimed parallel between Katz’ and Luger’s doesn’t work for me at all.

I agree Katz and Peter Luger are entirely different, although they share the distinction of being from another era.

I loathed my meal at Katz. Pastrami was adequate, the Matzo balls could have been used by David to kill Goliath. Touristy, borderline rude certainly indifferent service. Only the pickles pleased.

Wow, talk about timing. I have res Nov 8. We are in Brooklyn for a beer trip, doing Anslem for lunch. So where does one Steak in Brooklyn then? Destefanos? Help so I can correct a glaring mistake

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Peter Luger, I think what’s off is people’s expectations. It’s not a fine dining establishment - never has been. It’s not a destination restaurant. It’s just where you go in Brooklyn if you want an excellent slab of cow washed down with a bottle of Geyserville. Admittedly I haven’t been in 6 or 7 years but I can’t imagine much has changed on their end.

I think Katz’s is - and should be - much more of a tourist destination, especially given its location, history, atmosphere, and more family-friendly pricing and menu.

While I agree with most of Wells’ review, it won’t impact Luger’s business. They’ll be fine.

This. I’ll occasionally pop in for a burger or a steak for lunch if I’m in the area around opening time and don’t feel like going to Diner, etc.

I’d go. It’s still very tasty, quite unique, and obviously famous. It’s just not “America’s best steakhouse” or anything close to it.

Well said my friend, thank you

I do not know a thing at Jewish cuisine…other than what we sell on Christmas.

That’s because you are a tourist, per John! [wink.gif]