Pet Peeves - Epicurian Division

Absolutely on caramelizing onions! Years ago I made the mistake of making onion soup the night before we were going to serve it. I thought, a few hours, get the onions ready, nice night’s sleep, etc. I was up all night. And there is such a big difference between onions that are properly caramelized and those that are just translucent or browned.

I actually gave up a long time ago on paying much attention to timing in recipes.

[/quote]
Check out Thomas Keller’s recipe for French onion soup:

FOR THE SOUP: Melt the butter and oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and 1 tablespoon salt, reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes and regulating the heat to keep the mixture bubbling gently, for about 1 hour, or until the onions have wilted and released a lot of liquid. At this point, you can turn up the heat slightly to reduce the liquid, but it is important to continue to cook the onions slowly to develop maximum flavor and keep them from scorching. Continue to stir the onions every 15 minutes, being sure to scrape the bottom and get in the corners of the pot, for about 4 hours more, or until the onions are caramelized throughout and a rich deep brown. Keep a closer eye on the onions toward the end of the cooking when the liquid has evaporated.
[/quote]

This was the recipe I followed. It took more than four hours to do it properly!

I do a version of caramelized onions that’s pretty easy and has the advantage of cooking a chicken dinner for part of the time the onions are caramelizing.

Slice the onions, place on the bottom of a lidded pan. Layer the fresh herb of your choice on top (thyme, tarragon, etc.). Place chicken thighs skin side up on top of the herbs. Cover and cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes, then remove the chicken.

I finish the chicken under the broiler to crisp up the skin, sometimes adding some more flavor (a rub, a bbq sauce, etc).

I leave the the onions which are cooking in chicken fat and juices infused with the herbal flavor on the stove for another 2 hours or so uncovered.

Thank you.

BTW, that may for the inspiration to load homemade bread with scallions. Brilliant.

I’m curious - do you remember what you made?

It was a chicken dish. Probably a version of chicken cacciatore but am not sure. I checked her handwritten recipes and the only cookbook of hers that I kept and can’t find it.

I can see how a whole bulb of garlic would make that better.

When I make risotto, I add two bulbs of roasted garlic. My wife claims she can barely taste it.

Not washing your rice before cooking.

Love how this thread on the idiocy of changing the recipe is now a paean to changing the recipe.

Isn’t it ironic?

Don’t you think?

I nearly always follow a recipe to the letter first time round, unless there is something clearly wrong in a minor aspect (in which case the responsibility is mine). If I think there is something major wrong, I look for another recipe.

One exception for a first time out “tweak” is, and this is my pet peeve, that quantities for sauces, braising liquid etc, are often inadequate so I may ratio all those ingredients up by 25% or 50%, but keeping everything in proportion.

Subsequently, I very often tweak the dish according to my taste.

Other pet peeves… mixing measuring systems, why doesn’t everyone just give everything in grams? 5tbsp of this, 1/4 cup of that, 6oz of the other… I also weigh liquids it’s faster and more accurate.

And, as has already been noted, often the quoted prep time may be reasonable after you have done a recipe a few times but is usually too short for the first time out.

Recipes that don’t have a total prep and cook time (incl any resting or cooling times) at the beginning so you have get out a pencil and paper to figure out when to start.

That was just the example to get started. The thread is pet peeves. Number one seems to be dishonest recipes.

[Edited for typo]

I always tweak the recipe. Recipe may say 1 sprig of whatever but what if it is weaker or stronger than usual? So tasting is important.

I’m a tweaker. Not the drug addict kind.
Richard, not sure if some recipes are dishonest so much as inadequate.

One of the more entertaining threads. Not surprising that Berserkers can’t keep to a recipe.

“ misleading “. Will that do?

[cheers.gif]

I never stick to a recipe (other than baking). And I usually don’t follow baking recipes. I use them for ideas