Peking Duck House - May 1st

Big shout out to Michel for organizing a great evening of food, wine and friends!!! I had a killer time, was worth the 3.5 hour drive and then some, would do it again next Friday!

Pleasure meeting Sharon, Jim, Kevin, Mark, Veronica, Zoe and Patty - lets do this again REAL soon…

Photos from the evening are here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=74526&id=561133965&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’ll post notes after a nap!

The Bubbly
1998 Nicolas Feuillatte BdB
2000 Lassaigne BdB
1988 Veuve Clicquot Rare Vintage

The Whites
2000 Pierre Morey Meursault “Tessons”
1999 Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet “Pucelles”
1996 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet “La Boudriotte” en magnum

The Reds
1976 Ampeau Volnay “Santenots”
1995 Chevillon Nuits-Saint-Georges “Les Saint-Georges”
1995 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Saint-Jacques”
1991 DRC Romanée-Saint-Vivant
1996 Raphet Charmes-Chambertin
1996 Roumier Chambolle-Musigny “Les Cras”
2001 Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Saint-Jacques”
2006 Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes

The Stickie
1947 Climens

What a fantastic lineup!!

What an awesome night of wines, food and people! I had a blast, it was great to see Peter again and share some really amazing wines. There were no clunkers in the bunch, I am happy to say (I left a corked 1998 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru les Champeaux at home… [cray.gif] ).

Since Peter’s still napping, I’ll post my (hazy) recollections…

The Bubbly
1998 Nicolas Feuillatte BdB-
VERY moussy, almost reminded me of a Limoux more than a Champagne, rather light in weight on the palate, but not bad. Its only crime was that it lacked personality.
2000 Lassaigne BdB-
An absolute night and day wine to the Feuillate, with TONS of personality and lovely, almost crunchy notes that had me coming back again and again. It also kept evolving in the glass. Beautiful.
1988 Veuve Clicquot Rare Vintage-
Another beauty, this had freshness mixed with oxydized notes of an older Champagne (according to Peter, it was recently disgorged), a real stunner of a wine.

The Whites
2000 Pierre Morey Meursault “Tessons”-
Fat, ripe and oaky, with subdued acidity. While cold, it reminded me of an oaky Meursault, but as it warmed up the acidity receded and the fat overwhelmed everything else. Not my style.
1999 Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet “Pucelles”-
Pure precision. Absolutely delicious, a real winner, with beautiful notes of slightly over-cooked popcorn, dry candied lemon rind (does that even make sense? who cares, that’s what it reminded me of), light hazelnuts and almond skins. Gorgeous, long finish too.
1996 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet “La Boudriotte” en magnum-
Another winner. Hints of that minty Ramonet mark mingled with darker nutty notes and almonds and lemons, a real laser beam of acidity. No signs of oxydation.

The Reds
1976 Ampeau Volnay “Santenots”-
Ooooooh… gorgeous notes of older Pinot mixed in with fresh red berries, this had to have been topped off, but I’m not complaining. It was just delicious, with a lovely texture and a nice finish.
1995 Chevillon Nuits-Saint-Georges “Les Saint-Georges”-
Really nice, with fresh red and dark berry aspects but the acidity was a bit jarring at the end.
1995 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Saint-Jacques”-
Another beauty, this one’s acidity was nicely balanced by the heavier Gevrey fruit.
1991 DRC Romanée-Saint-Vivant-
“This is yummy”, my neighbor proclaimed, and she was right. Beautiful flowery aromatics, nice texture, it coated the mouth in elegant fruit then disappeared ever so slow, dancing across the palate.
1996 Raphet Charmes-Chambertin-
Very nice, I didn’t really get a chance to examine this, sadly, though I do remember liking it.
1996 Roumier Chambolle-Musigny “Les Cras”-
Somewhat chunky and rough, a real rustic beast, the acidity was all over the place. Not un-enjoyable, but compared to its tablemates this was a real barbarian.
2001 Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Saint-Jacques”-
Another “Ooooooh” wine, a real thing of lovely elegance. Did I expect less from Rousseau? Bright, big red fruits and berries vied for attention over the earthy notes, ending with an extremely long finish. Wow.
2006 Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes-
Bright, young, going from light to dark berries, with a nice mouthfeel and medium-length finish (when compared to its predecessors). Quite nice.

The Stickie
1947 Climens-
Wow. Just wow. This was full of sweet hazelnuts, vanilla, lemons and nutty aspects, but with an impeccable balance that kept everything in line. Just gorgeous. Did I mention Wow? The mouthfeel and finish on this were pure hedonism.

A great night at Peking Duck House, even if service was a bit rushed.
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

I have to say, the NYC crew really does it right.

I’d love to see something like that in the OC, rather than Saxum-fest or ink-black-oak bomb-a-nalia

Michel, thanks for the really good read on an exciting line-up. Too good for PMC, but that is another matter… [dance2.gif]

Todd, you’re always welcome to swing by the Right Coast. We’ll show you a good time.

Great notes on some amazing wines…

06’ Bachelet Gevrey is a big village wine that needs time but delicious now with some air time. I really enjoyed it a few months back. 91’ DRC RSV sounds incredible… I have some and was wondering what type of longevity you think it has?

Again congrats on a great evening!

The 06 Bachelet is indeed a young wine (what a gorgeous color too!), and that 1991 has many, many years ahead of it. In fact, we should have decanted it, it was good but had intimations of greatness that we really didn’t see.

Sounds like an enviable evening!

I’m glad the Ampeau is opening up better now. A few years ago it was actually still tannic and needed some air time. The last drops were great but they were last! I’m glad to have a couple left.

Karl

Was a great time! Glad to have met everyone.

Round 2 is when?

Kevin,

Great to have you here!!! Awesome meeting you on Friday. Thanks so much for the kick-ass wines you brought along. I will post notes hopefully by the end of the day.

Sign me up for Round 2 anytime.

Kevin we should definitely do it Boston-style ASAP - and I’d be up for NYC soon as well.

Sharon and I were discussing sushi/Champagne in NYC at some point as well.

Welcome aboard Kevin!

Round 2 in early June.

The Bubbly
1998 Nicolas Feuillatte BdB - a little too sweet and thin compared to the following, with jangly acidity, might calm down though in time
2000 Lassaigne BdB - really tasty and precise
1988 Veuve Clicquot Rare Vintage - great place, but room to run. mouthcoating and deep.

The Whites
2000 Pierre Morey Meursault “Tessons”
1999 Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet “Pucelles”
1996 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet “La Boudriotte” en magnum - the fact that I only remember this white says something, loads of delicious chard fruit, palate staining and mouthwatering.

The Reds
1976 Ampeau Volnay “Santenots” - so gorgeous and subtle, floral and spices too
1995 Chevillon Nuits-Saint-Georges “Les Saint-Georges” - amazing wine, thought this would be hard
1995 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Saint-Jacques” - dont recall tasting?
1991 DRC Romanée-Saint-Vivant - needs a good 10 years, wish I had more time to follow it in glass
1996 Raphet Charmes-Chambertin - surprise of the night for me, really hitting on all cylinders and elegant
1996 Roumier Chambolle-Musigny “Les Cras”
2001 Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Saint-Jacques” - right in my sweet spot, earth/fruit/balanced, dont hesitate to drink now
2006 Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - tangy, tart fruit and packed in, needs 5 years at least but should be great

The Stickie
1947 Climens - wow, get me some of this, never had a stickie (incl 01 yquem) that made me swoon like the climens

Just not the weekend of June 6/7th please! Lets fire it up!

That must have been an amazing Sauternes to get any reaction out of Peter!

That Ampeau is great stuff–well done, guys.

-Michael

Don’t forget about me!!! Duck and burgs!!!

Leo, how could I forget you? [drinkers.gif]