Pegau Two Ways

Hey – I believe the 1995 was great. I’m just surprised. I drank my last bottle 8 - 10 years ago and, at the time, I was concerned the fruit was losing the battle. Personally, I like them younger (generally) – but different strokes. I have a lot of 1998 to 2001s still left. At this stage, I might as well keep them another decade for the experimental value. A recent mag of 2000 Beaucastel showed poorly relative to where it was at a few years ago (when I loved it).

This has been my experience as well. Other than my (regrettable) lack of much experience with Rayas and Bonneau. The complexity of a Beaucastel, VT, or Pegau that starts to develop at 15-20 years is what I’m looking for in CdP. Most of the others don’t get there, and young Grenache doesn’t usually do it for me.

It’s the proverbial Provencal spice rack, but to quibble, I actually prefer the 2001. Such solid wines then, have not tried a younger Pegau since the 2007 vintage. Been sniffing around again, however. Liked reading what Gerhardt said about the 2017 vintage.

Incidentally, sorta like Beaujolais and Kabinett, I tend to prefer my CDPs on the young side.

The 2001 is fantastic. I just grabbed the 2000 first, and a buddy brought the 2004.

I am going to check on the 1999, 2001 and 2006 soon.

We´ll be doing a tasting CdP 1998-2001 in a few days, with all 4 vintages of Pegau (and Charvin, Marcoux, maybe Bois de Boursan/Versino) …
and a few other single vintages (incl. Beaucastel 2000).
We´ll see …
[cheers.gif]

Hmmm. Sounds like a Pegau 3-way is in the works

2001 is a beautiful complex classic style CDP

Drinking the 2004 Pegau with a few others next month, after last having it at release. Hope it shows as well.