Pegau Reserve

I’m disappointed the price has gone up to $100+ bottle these days!

Not for 2008, 2011 … the latter must still be available for close to 35.00 and is an excellent wine to enjoy …
Pegau isn´t that expensive off domaine - ok, more expensive than Bois de Boursan for instance, but cheaper than Clos des Papes and Beaucastel …
the rest is simply created thru the import channels …

The 2012 is going to be some 40 € at domaine (incl. French taxes) - so that´s 33-34,- netto, and off another 10-15% for wholesale is something between 28 and 30 for an importer … with the present (low) exchange that´s 38 to 40 $ … so if it will really be 100.00 in the US you know what´s going on …
(that´s only an unprofessional estimation …)

I´m still convinced that all (or most) the variations and brett issues are due to shipping and (intermediate) storage …
As I told here I have had absolutely no real bad (bretty) bottles, but a typical hint of brett is part of the character.
Even the few bottles I have purchased in addition from Austrian or German import sources were totally sound.

Gerhard, your hint of brett is probably someone else’s overwhelming excess.

Maybe - but I think simply this “hint” often grows thru inapropriate shipping overseas (or wherever) … and then there is an issue …

Agree re:local pricing. But if you are willing to play the PC Roulette of Values…

I see ads for Pegau all the time at around $70-80 for the strong vintages. It is quite easy to find the 11 Pegau for ca $40 without going to Premier Cru.

That could be, and I’ve never tasted a bottle of Pegau in Europe, but it seems like I would find some bottles with less evidence of brett if it were only a handling issue. I’ve tasted quite a few, from several vintages, and it always overwhelms the wine to my taste.

I’ve never seen a current release of Pegau for more than $75
As far as brett, Pegau gets a bad rap:! nothing compares to Montrose

Prepare to be surprised, I suppose:

http://www.klwines.com/content.asp?Nr=AND(p_giftBoxYN%3AN%2COR(OutofStock%3AN%2CInventory+Location%3ASpecial+Order))&Ntt=Pegau&N=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=p_lotGeneratedFromPOYN|0||QtySoldLast30|1||QtySoldLifetime|1&Ntk=search_all

Bran,
Looks like the '12 is $79.99. More interesting is the 2007 auctioning higher than the instore price!

Poor choice of words on my part: I should have said I own every Reservee made in the 21st (excepting 2002) but never paid more than $70 on release

I have had a number of glorious experiences with Pegau, but have stopped buying them. They have a persistent, lackadaisical attitude towards their product that results in bottle variation and unsound wines at a rate that far exceeds any other producer I know. (I haven’t had a bretty Montrose made since 2000).

Also, the producer has acknowledged that she views brett as a feature, not a flaw, and tries to use it as a component in the wine’s flavor profile like salt in a broth. I know others agree with her, and they are of course entitled to their opinion, but to me, brett is always a flaw, and intentionally breeding it into your product means you don’t want me as a customer.

Yep, I was drinking a 1999 a few days ago and noticed I paid $23.00.

I love Pegau. I’ve visited them three or four times. Prices in the States a silly now, so I only buy when in Europe. However, I am concerned about the temperature of their garage (actually a garage under the house) storage facility. They mentioned that they were thinking about doing something about it several years ago (maybe 2007 or 2008?), but does anyone know whether they did or not?

First off, shipping does not introduce brett into a bottle. It’s in the bottle or not, shipping can only cause it to bloom. If it wasnt in there, it wouldn’t be an issue.

Yes, but if there is no tiny hint of brett - it´s not Pegau ! [wow.gif]
AND if shipping/storage doesn´t cause it to blossom it wouldn´t be an issue at all
(if any tiny hints of brett are an issue simply do not buy Pegau)

Actually they have built a new cellar behind the old barrel cellar - where part of the bottles are stored now, but not all.
Nevertheless, while this old storage facility might not have totally ideal temperatures for long term cellaring for years (it ´s some 18 or 19° C in hottest summer), all my bottles came from there … and as I wrote: no issues …
so that´s certainly not the reason. Many cellars there in CdP are not cooler.

After living for 10 years in Provence I discovered after,visits to hundreds of wineries, that our obsession with storage temperature is misguided. This is NOT a sudden elevation caused by improper shipping or handling but storage … long term … at temperatures well above the preferred 55 degrees.

I found this in Bordeaux, CdP, Alsace, all over Spain and Italy and in Germany and Austria. Many of the wines were stored at up to 65 but when questioned, the vintners said they had been storing their wines this way for decades. ALL, opined that it is sudden temperature changes that affect the wine. Because of my question, on several occasions, they opened older wines and,without exception,they were pristine.

These were all passive situations with gradual temperature changes over the year.

So, don’t obsess about warmer than optimal (55) temps but guard against spikes.

until the summer of 2003 happened…and until it happens again.