Pax liquidation beginning?

Tex,

I got the email. I have enough Pax to last me a long time. Let me know if you would like to buy through me.

1. Pax Wines were in a whole lot of trouble before the economy busted up.

2. Like Ken said, these wines have been discounted for well over one year and have not budged. I predict them going lower. If this is the bottom level, it will be at bottom for quite a bit of time. If Joe Donelan is intent on clearing out the cellars, and sooner rather than later, I would think prices getting lower will occur.

Dan (or should I say Mr. Posner) [basic-smile.gif]

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it’s not, then wouldn’t it make sense that if he sits with it long enough, it will benefit from the ‘upswing’ of the economy in general? I am no rocket scientist, but I think a $30 pax would have flew from the warehouse just a short 24 months ago? Coupled with the fact that its SYRAH, who the hell knows?

You obviously have your finger more on the pulse that I ever could, so I am probably mistaken. Either way, we shall see.

Cheers!

I am surprised at the full case requirement.

Mike

Obviously cashflow comes into play here. Like I said, it is a matter of how quickly he would like to move through this stuff.

If he is in no rush, then he can wait 2 more years and be gone with it all at $30/btl. He has already been at this pricing for 15-18 months now, so what is another 2 years?

Is he doing this to disassociate Pax wines with his (Donelan’s) new label??

Mike, is this offer free shipping? I was looking for that but did not see it stated anywhere.

He started this before he changed the name, but he may have been planning the name change for a while.

I believe he alludes to the name change as one issue in the letter.

I thought thats what was said. I could have been mistaken.

I think I said free shipping would be nice. I remember it costing me a bit to ship due to the weight.

Brian, I think you are under the wrong impression about the 07 vintage in California. Not to overgeneralize, but 07 was a very good year in part because it was a great growing season all around, but didn’t have the major heat waves that lead to a lot of overripe fruit. Many, many of the wines I’ve had from many producers have been outstanding. Carlisle wines, for example, noted to be large framed, are some of the lowest alcohol wines Mike’s made (and at the same time of the most interesting from a flavor and balance perspective). The Pax wines in 07 are the least ripe and lowest alcohol of any vintage, I believe - partly due to the vintage itself, partly due to what I perceive as Pax’s (the man) shift in picking and winemaking choices that was going on about then. Anyway, just a bit of an aside in response to your concerns.
Regards

So, add shipping costs, who is in?

I am, for a mixed case. While I like the wines, I stopped buying because the price exceeded my comfort zone. At these prices, I’m a buyer. Even with shipping, better than other wines in a similar range.

I’ve been getting the e-mails on these for a while too. And I don’t see them going up in price or quality. They’re not getting better. They are what they are and if you like the style, then you like the wine but they were always big and ripe and I just don’t see them evolving into something much different.

OUCH! Well, excuse me! Who pissed in your corn flakes?’! [basic-smile.gif]
Personally, I think they do well with 4-6 years myself. Not to mention they were also offering a few '06s.

You are right. Greg was quite rude.

Of course, if he pissed in your corn flakes and called it Cabernet, you know you’d drink it! [tease.gif]

Can’t guarantee a high score though… [basic-smile.gif]

What did Greg say wrong?

These wines are what they are. Certainly the wines of recent vitnages are better than the older vintages, but the early 2000s are pretty much disasters, IMO. Clearly wines developed to get high scores from Mr. P(obega)!

Start lining up your 2000s-2003s from Pax against the newer stuff, or even a different producer. I hardly think that most people will be all of that impressed.

Or maybe, I will just wait for the Pax “Where are they now” installment from Mr P(arker). I am sure he bought lots of this stuff!

03 Alder Springs, The Terraces tonight (after a 2000 Pegau Capo so not really fair). A big bowl of Trix. Blueberry, cherry, and raspberry. Sweet and decadent, but lacking acid and structure. Not cloying but certainly over the top and doesn’t seem to have the pepper I remember. Take it for what its worth. A nice after dinner cocktail but keep food away.

Do they still make Trix? I used to like that stuff, so maybe I should change my opinion.

Thanks, Matt, for offering up the note.