Paso take II

RN is our favorite winery in Paso. More restrained style than is typical for the area. He still has two great danes, and my wife asks to pet them every time we visit.

2 Likes

Hmm, these votes for RN is making me reconsider the route. Could maybe head over to Villa San Juliette for lunch/tasting and finish up over by RN estates. Our friends had a bottle of VSJ from their trip and it was fantastic, i’ve wanted to check them out but they are just too far from the routes I plan to make it work. Add in RN not too far and it may become doable.

Let me throw out another lunch option which is Pier 46 Seafood in Templeton. They have the best fish tacos and fresh seafood anywhere on the central coast. It is a very casual place, mostly outdoor seating and could be crowded on the weekend but well worth a visit. Its about a 5 minute drive from Turley.

If you decide to visit Adelaida, reach out and let me know in advance and I’ll see if I can connect you with Jeremy Weintraub, the winemaker and a former labmate of mine at UC Davis. A very talented winemaker working with some of the oldest vines in the area.

Another vote for Tablas - they just do things right.

The Turley ‘experience’ is nothing special, but if you like their style of zins, no one will offer you anything as expansive or similar in Paso - so go there.

Another couple of options - Brecon Estate is quite nice and their wines are well regarded; their winemaker, Ryan Peace, has his own label and place called Paix Sur Terre and concentrates on Mourvedre; many folks are this board have mentioned Nicora in the past (have not heard much lately but that does not mean a thing to me); Nelle and Cordon in Tin City are quite good.

Have fun and reach out if I can help in any way.

Cheers!

1 Like

I really wished my husband liked seafood, this would be a perfect lunch spot. He did say he’d eat the kids grilled cheese. [snort.gif]

I may take you up on Adelaida it’s top on my list to add this year with Dilecta.

We did Tablas last year and they were by far the best overall tasting we did but the wines weren’t our favorite. I highly reccomend to anyone coming out to Paso for their first trip to check them out.

I’m on the Turley mailing list but am cellaring so i’m currently grabbing a little of everything as I have no idea what I’d like most from them, it would be nice to do a tasting and try to make my buys more focused so I think i’m keeping them and scratching J Dusi.

Agreed with Brecon, they were our gem last year and we joined their wine club. We also belong to Denner, Levo, and Zenaida.

We’ll most likely spend a day at Tin City this year I have it narrowed to Aaron, Jacob Toft, or Nicora. Nelle and Cordon are a new name to me i’ll check them out, thanks!

I somehow missed Paix Sur Terre was the same winemaker as Brecon. We love Brecon and joined the wine club last year. I added Paix Sur Terre to the schedule last week. Looking foward to that stop.

Yes, I generally go once or twice a year and always enjoy it. Of course the wines are rich but in a different style than Saxum, Torrin etc. Most of the wines can be enjoyed soon after release, no need to wait 10+ years.

1 Like

Jen,

Ryan is no longer winemaker at Brecon, instead concentrating 100% of his time on his own label.

Cheers.