Parker Addresses Wine Writers; Closure of eBob to Nonsubscribers

Thanks Richard.

Good for RMP to attend this event and discuss his positions, which overall seem consistent if considerably less bombastic. With the chronic back pain issues and invasive surgery, no wonder he’s been cranky. Unfortunately, he doesn’t look too healthy in the photos.

He definitely threw Squires under the bus. What Mark was doing as administrator was not done in secret. If RMP wanted more leniency and/or accessibility, why is there a pay wall? Kindness?

RT

Not surprisingly, the biggest influencers, with a mean rating of six, were buyers’ wine knowledgeable friends. Second most influential were wine shop staff, with a rating of 5.3 As far as major publications, Wine Spectator had the highest mean rating of influence at 4.7. Wine Enthusiast followed with a 4.4 score. A high Parker rating in TWA rated only 4.1.

What? WE is more influential than the WA? [scratch.gif]

He looks awful.

[cheers.gif]

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

And no chance of it fooling the AFWE

Thanks Richard.

I have been and remain a fan of Parker. I don’t mind the brash style, although it certainly costs gives his critics fodder. I find his reviews very consistent and no less limiting than many who dismiss the wines he likes and bash him for liking them. I happen to like orange wines and certainly some of the Loire Red wines he dislikes, but so what? I also happen to like SQN, Saxum and 2003 Pavie. So what? If Parker or anyone else doesn’t like it, it makes for a fun discussion. Its a shame the Squires BB put the wall up but I don’t think anyone can say with a straight face that BB was not a wild and disrespectful place at times. Parker at his worst, and I will grant you he had his moments, was not as ill behaved as many on that BB (and he was footing the bill). Heck, even Todd has his detractors for censorship on this BB. Some days you just can’t win.

I wonder how many of us would put with someone publishing books with out names in their titles, just to make a name for themselves? How many bloggers wrote about this speech (second one I saw today) only to be followed by everyone feeling that gives them the right to say what Parker’s faults are? Classic in America, build them up, tear them down.

As for the appearance remarks, reminds me of The Who when they played the Superbowl (or even the RHCP this year). Its hard to watch people that we knew young, get old. The fact that he appeared, requiring two canes, says more to me than disheveled hair or a scraggly beard. He could have easily skipped this appearance, but must have felt it worthwhile for some reason. I suspect it wasn’t about the money.

Outstanding writing Richard, and tremendous question.

As I read through the (wonderful) article Richard wrote, I kept thinking that by all appearances, Mr. Parker has zero idea how little credibility he has with my (31 years old) generation of wine lovers. His subscriber base is dying off, literally. I’ve yet to see any movement from The Wine Advocate towards attracting a younger audience and building credibility with that audience. Oh well.

Loren, I agree with a lot of what you say, but to me he isn’t brash; he is arrogant and unnecessarily dismissive. He is entitled to his views – and to express them unambiguously – but he treats those who simply disagree as cretins. I can’t stand that kind of attitude, from him or from his critics (who are often no better)

I think Antonio brought a couple fundamental improvements to the publication, namely the videos as well as including the website instead of just the phone number on reviews. Still can’t figure out why this isn’t a hyperlink though.

Yeah the other one is this : “I went to France to protect my investment.” He is referring to his wife, a human being and not a thing… Seemingly inconsequential, these sorts of statements are very alienating. This industry has a feeling of a boy’s club and subtleties like that one can be really off putting and sadly reconfirming. Maybe I read too much into things but that leaped out at me, big time.

Thanks for posting Richard. A great read!

Yes, thanks Richard. Definitely worth reading, well done!

Loren, I am not inclined to argue with you, but I find this remarkably naive at this late date…

Well, he suffers a modern affliction that many now endue and inflict on others…narcissism

I know I shouldn’t do this, but heck, I’m feeling a little ‘snarky’ right now . . .

Bill, care to illuminate us which parts of Loren’s post you ‘remarkably naive’ at this point?

Cheers . . . .

[stirthepothal.gif] [popcorn.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

I’m no defender of Parker, but I’m about 99% sure he’s attempting to be humorous here. If you have heard his story about that time, it’s clear that his was almost a puppy love and he was missing his [future] wife so much he couldn’t be without her. She, clearly didn’t feel the same at the time, otherwise she never would have gone. Good for both of them. He didn’t go to put the leash around her.

Mike,

Thank you for the thoughtful comments.

I think you’re absolutely right in your point # 3. I think Antonio Galloni with his http://vinousmedia.com/ is doing an impressive job of showing some of the ways that new media can be employed to better communicate on wine topics.

As to your question in # 1, I don’t know the answer for sure. I cancelled my subscription to TWA on principle after Parker closed down the bulletin board to non-subscribers in 2010. I suspect Mark still has his old job there, but hopefully a current subscriber can confirm

Tom,

Thank you for the additional information and commentary.

I very much appreciate your correction in #1, which I’ve made on the blog.

As to Parker’s comments, I heard them as throwing Squires under the bus, and was really surprised by his candor on that issue. That said, I have to report that I had a conversation with Squires in April 2007, at an OL in San Francisco thrown in his honor, about censorship and removals of people from the eBob bulletin board. He told me that Parker, who paid his salary to run the board, made the decisions on who should be banned from the board. Maybe that changed by 2010, but Mark made it clear that, in 2007 at least, those were RMP’s decisions, not his. I would expect, however, that Mark was solely responsible for the sometimes blistering language he reportedly used in conveying some of those decisions.

I agree with your point 5. I think the whole “formula” argument is a weak straw man. As to your comment # 6, I am very much looking forward to getting Adam’s response in person when I meet with him early next week (a long planned visit).