Paris recommendation

This. Their praline mille-feuille is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. I still have dreams about it. The macarons are great too.

Their praline mille-feuille is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. I still have dreams about it. The macarons are great too> .

Corey - I totally agree. That praline millefeuille was incredible! And the macarons are the best in Paris - we’ve done several comparison tastings and PH always won.

People will get into fights over the best pastries and macarons.

Aside from all the really big famous French guys, Sadaharu Aoki is a great pattisier and offers some items with a Japanese slant like different versions of tea/green tea flavors. I’d recommend to check him out, he has several locations in the city now. I still choose to go to his original shop in the 6e IIRC.

Just following up on this. We stayed at Hotel St. Paul Rive Gauche near the NE corner of Jardin de Luxembourg, and it was quite nice. Staff was very nice as well. We only had the afternoon/evening of our arrival and the next morning in Paris, so with jetlag we didn’t try to do anything fancy. We walked around the 5th and 6th a lot and saw Rue Mouffetard and Rue de Buci as well as many other places, and explored the Luxembourg more than we have before. After dinner the first night we walked over to the Eiffel Tower and then took the RER back.

That night we at at Relais de L’Entrecote near St. Germain des Pres. It is the simplest thing you can get - nothing on the menu but steak frites and green salad, with a mysterious green sauce on the steak. It was great for that jet-lagged night. The highlight was when a table of six next to us found out they had brought a vegetarian there.

The next day we walked around more of the 6th. I wanted to go to Le Comptoir but a late breakfast croissant nixed that, so we just wandered and found a Leon de Bruxelles which is hard for me to resist as I grew up in Belgium. Their moules are excellent but I wouldn’t necessarily go there for other stuff.

The rest of our trip was two days in Champagne at Les Avises where we drank Selosse VO and Rose and then a couple in Grenoble where we climbed the Chamechaude, the highest peak in the Chartreuse (~2080M - it’s about a 4-hour hike with 2400’ of climbing). Weather was great everywhere. They were just starting the harvest in Champagne.

[quote=“Craig Gleason”]Just following up on this. We stayed at Hotel St. Paul Rive Gauche near the NE corner of Jardin de Luxembourg, and it was quite nice. Staff was very nice as well. We only had the afternoon/evening of our arrival and the next morning in Paris, so with jetlag we didn’t try to do anything fancy. We walked around the 5th and 6th a lot and saw Rue Mouffetard and Rue de Buci as well as many other places, and explored the Luxembourg more than we have before. After dinner the first night we walked over to the Eiffel Tower and then took the RER back.

Craig: That’s where we stay as well, glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. I think the bottom line is that the only bargains in Paris lodging are apartments, but for one night that wasn’t happening. Hotels are going to be expensive, but for the location I was okay with it. They gave us an upgrade too.