Paris & Champagne Travelogue & TN's

Love the GC vs vintage comparison with same base. I hadn’t done that either and now I’m questioning why not.
Stellar trip so far Warren. Thanks for the quality shares.

2 Likes

The reason they gave me at the time was that people were able to work out release dates / quantities from the codes visible in their photographs. But perhaps they have relaxed their policies since then. I wouldn’t worry

Awesome photos and write up Warren. Thank you for them

Well done Warren.

Love Le Bon Georges!

It will be interesting to see how the 164eme compares to the 2008 in about 5 years.

Looks like a great trip, Warren! Thank you for posting the notes and the pictures.

Ed

I have a lot of things to post, but here’s an easy one from dinner tonight. Paris wine lists are incredible.
E00B0A9E-79BF-4CA5-92D5-6EB62F610CA7.jpeg

1 Like

Thanks foe the notes and pics Warren, I’m looking forward to my trip to Paris, Champagne and Burgundy in the Spring and this post has me itching to go.

Great notes, Warren. Thanks much for sharing.

Our Deutz visit was phenomenal. It was personal and generous, a private tour that included tasting through a range Deutz Champagnes, including the Amour de Deutz Rosé, BdB, and Cuvée William Deutz. It included a private lunch, our finest of the holiday. Marc was a gracious, knowledgeable, enthusiastic host.
The house, like many, was well preserved. Deutz was more original than any we’d seen, unchanged since the mid 19th century. Some of the current furniture could be seen, unchanged in portraits from the 1800s.
Deutz hallway.jpeg
Deutz parlor.jpeg
Deutz tasting room.jpeg
Deutz lunch.jpeg

2 Likes

The Deutz cellar was beautiful, chalk, with an ancient section that’s no longer used, and the modern section which is still quite old. There’s a beautiful long spiral staircase descending into its depths. No flash photos as they store the Amour de Deutz in clear bottles.
Deutz spiral.jpeg
Deutz stainless.jpeg
Deutz cave corridor.jpeg
Deutz row.jpeg

3 Likes

Cave photos. Videos too large to upload
Deutz 96 William D.jpeg
Deutz amour stack.jpeg
Deutz amour large format.jpeg
Deutz cave corridor.jpeg

3 Likes

Library wines in the Deutz cave
Deutz 95 Amour.jpeg
Deutz 82.jpeg
Deutz Library wine rack.jpeg

2 Likes

The old portion of the cave. They block unused corridors with bottles.
Deutz stack.jpeg
Deutz old cave stairs.jpeg
Deutz closed corridor.jpeg

2 Likes

This was a very generous tasting. My notes are from memory, so there may be some inaccuracy of vintages.
We started with the NV Deutz Brut Classic and NV Brut rosé. These were quality wines, fresh and fruity, and very easy to drink (although given the line-up, I had to spit some!).
We then moved on to 2012 Deutz Champagne Brut Millésimé. Another winner, once again with fresh fruity flavors and aromas, augmented with biscuits. They use stainless instead of oak at Deutz, and allow malolactic fermentation. The freshness shows. This is an outstanding age-worthy champagne at a reasonable price.
I knew the Amour de Deutz BdB and Rosé were their tête de cuvées. I didn’t realize the the Cuvée William Deutz was at the same level, but a Pinot Noir based Bdn rather than Chardonnay based as in the Amour wines. These are some of my favorite wines, and the tasting confirmed that. For me, the Rosé is different but equal in quality (and deliciousness) as two of my other favorites, the Vilmart Emotion and the Egly Ouiriet Rosé.

The 2009 Amour de Deutz BdB defied the generous vintage, showing more elegance than force. I really loved it, and I’m glad I own some.
The 2009 Amour de Deutz Rosé once again showed the pure and elegant fruit of the house style. I have several of these. These are '09s that I’ll hold rather than open early. They’re structured, and just gorgeous. For me, this is as good as Rosé Champagne gets. It’s produced with still wine assemblage rather than saignee.
I don’t recall the vintage of the Cuvée William Deutz, their pinot noir based wine. It was youthful but generous, a wine I need to purchase and drink more often.

They’ve started an “Hommage” series, two wines from their historic vineyards. I’ll need to try them at some point.

The last is a photo behind the cellars and cave, of the Glaciéres vineyard. I thought it odd that they’d name a pinot vineyard Glacieres; it sound more crystalline chardonnay-like to me. It turns out, there used to be an underground ice house beneath the vineyard.
Deutz vineyard.jpeg
Library - 1 of 1.jpeg
Deutz treated us the best of all of our winery visits, and their wines were as exceptional as their hospitality. Although they had no clue, I’ve been a vocal advocate of their wines for years. They treated us like VIP for no apparent reason.

3 Likes

You have some great pictures there, Warren! Sounds like this was an incredible visit. I’m looking forward to your next report. Where next? [cheers.gif]

Phil,

Next up Ruinart, who have the best caves, then Vilmart and Pierre Peters.

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks for the superb reporting Warren!

2010 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur
A very good showing for this wine. Grand cru density and finish. Lemon cream, pear, limestone. Great purity. A little less cut than I expected, but outstanding wine.
Ordered at a bistro in Paris; we pay far too much for this stateside.
All Photos - 1 of 1.jpeg

2 Likes

Ruinart and Pierre Peters were 2 of the top 5 visits we had with Krug, Bollinger and Taittinger in the mix. You’re in for a treat. The cellars at Ruinart were the most impressive of all, not to mention all the wines were great. Looking forward to your notes and photos Warren. Great trip so far and thanks for all of the shares.