PANETTONE

Add me to the Sarah camp. I’ve never had one that’s struck a chord. They always seem decadent but in a monolithic way. Bread pudding fodder.

Here we have the best Panettone in 2021 by Gambero Rosso

Salute,
Martin

My Italian tutor loves the smell as you unwrap it, sniffing it as we might a 40yo Barolo

1 Like

I just had a slice of the Pannetone from Martin’s OP. It’s everything he said it would be. I want another but my pants might protest.

2 Likes

To me, the stuff is bread with too much sweetness and too little texture. Fruitcake in drag.

A Panettone Baked in Prison, and It’s One of Italy’s Best

1 Like

Normally, baked gifts are brought INTO a prison.

That’s part of the fun, it is the anti-matter of fruitcakes.

Edit: love the hanging upside down part of the prison article, I had no idea. (Panettone is apparently hung upside down to cool to prevent it from falling, how cool is that.)

Panettone has been my baking obsession for over a year. I’m getting better, but I still have epic failures — today’s attempt was the latest. However, when it works, it’s spectacular.

My biggest problem now is getting the proper flour. I can’t find Manitoba Flour anywhere on the East Coast. [cry.gif]

These are some of the successful ones I’ve made, including a savory one someone aptly named a “Taiwanettone” — Taiwanese Sausage, Scallions, and Black Sesame.
CD94951E-9DA1-4E22-B33B-0DCBA8286422.jpeg
01B74600-24C2-4031-8A7B-B323FDA87F9F.jpeg
CD831A2E-5C67-4A2E-A85F-9A876A8C589D.jpeg
329E4E49-8B8B-400B-ABAC-8196D2503AA9.jpeg
F21FA55B-1E17-43FA-A1DD-8E128D159032.jpeg
531D3BBA-E8E6-49ED-95B9-0FA2ABBE2306.jpeg

That’s a failure!? Could’ve fooled me! What recipe are you using out curiosity? I may try my hand at this as soon as I overcome my canelé obsession. As a side note I wanted to (but never got around to) make a pannetone and chinato bread pudding for the holidays as that combo sounded like a great idea in my head. At your pace you’ll get around to making that before I do

Agreed, that looks pretty legit to me.

Interesting. I’m no Panettone expert by any means but the own brand from our local Italian grocery chain (Longo’s) is pretty good and indeed stays moist as you describe.

As also do breads from a local quasi-artisan bakery (Dear Grain). Certainly not weeks but the bread stays reasonably fresh for up to a week and a bit longer if you’re just toasting it. Obviously it’s best in the first couple of days. Way better than super market ‘bakery’ bread. I have to check on what they do.

Those are some of the successful ones. I’ll clarify the post.

If you want to journey down the road of panettone, I’d highly recommend buying Panettone et viennoiserie au levain – BREAD Éditions as it’s thoroughly geeky and goes through the process in depth. In it are the recipes from Roy and Christophe Louie (the two that I use).

Bravissimo! Especially the savory ‘Taiwanettone’. Using panettone baking paper even.

Using Manitoba flour makes a big difference, I see it by making Pizza.

WOW…they look great.

The Romanian cousin:

Two comments…Firstly; Christine is mindbogglingly talented and panettone is merely the tip of the iceberg. Secondly; going back to Ryan’s early post….Roy’s panettone is the best I have ever tasted.

Cheers!
Marshall

Valentine`s Day is soon. You can order a Valentine´s Panettone.